Clownfish Pair and Royal Gramma in 20Long?

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a clownfish pair and a royal gramma be suitable for a 20 gallon long (30 inches length)?

could I also squeeze in a firefish or tailspot/bicolor blenny?

ecreef0258

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could if there is enough swimming room. I have 5 fish in my Waterbox 20 Gallon Cube.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish pair will kill almost everything IMO.

I have a pair of clownfish in a 29g, and they have 3 RBTA that host them. They never leave more than a few inches from the anemone, not even if food is falling just an inch or so away...except to attack things.

For example, my hand, a finger, a turkey baster, anything. They spawn constantly and do not at all like anything being put in the tank. If I was to put another fish in there, they would surely kill it quickly.

When they are young they may get along. However, once the clownfish mature, they will likely become more aggressive, and a tank that size doesn't really give much territory for anything else. They didn't become so aggressive until one of them clearly became the female. She is also the one that does 99% of the biting.

The exception might be something that is also super aggressive like a dottyback, however most likely is 1 ends up killing the other.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of mature clowns in a 29. They used to live fine with a royal gramma and now are fine with a six line wrasse.

I wouldn't push more than those 3 fish in a 20 gallon, IMO. I like giving fish room to grow.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of mature clowns in a 29. They used to live fine with a royal gramma and now are fine with a six line wrasse.

I wouldn't push more than those 3 fish in a 20 gallon, IMO. I like giving fish room to grow.
I chose royal gramma simply bc they are peaceful but incase clowns do get nasty to them they won’t just back down they’ll hold their own.
If I chose something like a fire fish, do you think the clowns would pick on it?
i have a pair (not paired but like one small one big) of regular ocellaris

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a clownfish pair and a royal gramma be suitable for a 20 gallon long (30 inches length)?

could I also squeeze in a firefish or tailspot/bicolor blenny?
Lol, I just must have the most docile clowns ever.
I have a pair of clowns, a royal gramma, a tailspot blenny, and a watchmen goby pistol shrimp pair in my 20g long. The clowns are friends with everyone, it's the gramma and blenny that argue every now and then, only because they like the same hidey holes. Yes I added the clowns first. Both the blenny and gramma take turns swimming and hanging out with the clowns. I have added more rock to give the blenny and gramma more hides.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep your clowns healthy enough… they eventually spawn. Mine also got nasty as hell in a 20g but are much nicer in 80g of space.

They are not as aggressive if not spawning but then some would say if your clowns are old enough to spawn but are not… then they are not in peak health.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy-23.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This should be fine as long as territorial issues dont occur and there is adequate hiding spaces.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spawning pair of midnight lightning ocellaris clowns in one of my 13.5 gallon fluval evos with a spawning pair of red firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica). No issues with aggression. Still trying to decide what I want to put with my pair of wyoming white ocellaris clowns in my other fluval evo 13.5 gallon besides a bunch of sexy shrimp.

In a larger tank you can get away with more. I keep 36 other fish in with my spawning pair of clarkii clowns (which are much larger and more aggressive than ocellaris) in my 75 gallon and have 0 issues with aggression. Basically they just chase fish away from within about 4" of their anemones if they have a clutch of eggs, otherwise they don't care at all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back