Clownfish pair not eating scales disappearing? Critical stage please help!

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 yr old clownfish pair - never any health issues, week or so ago I noticed the female stopped eating from my hand as was her habit. She just up and stopped eating altogether. Male was still eating but wouldn’t leave her side. I’ve watched her get thinner, I thought maybe he was taking food back to her because he would dart out and get food and go back to their spot where they would nip around at each other. However, as of yesterday he is still eating but very little. This morning I notice these weird markings on both of their sides?? I am at a loss. No white stringy poop. No visible parasites. Other fish are doing fine - Tomini tang, pair of blue damsels, purple pseudochromis. However, I’ve had three snails die in rapid succession over the last week - weird.

params
Calc 590
Alk 8.1
Sal 1.025
Temp 76-77
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Mag 1790 (!)

I dose calc and alk, use Hannah checkers, dose NoPox and microbacter7.

**of note - corals have been unhappy for last 3-4 weeks, shrinkage and color loss. Also all coraline TURNED WHITE (no idea what that’s about)?? I had been running phosban for algae issues and chalked the coral issues up to that but could be wrong - phosban was removed 2 weeks ago.

purchased 3 new corals are a frag show about 10 days before clown fish started acting off. I did not dip them before putting them in my tank (I know).

primary concern is my clown pair, secondary concern is corals - please help!!
6F3B3FA4-8A46-4D11-ADD2-8BB1FB60E9E4.jpeg

DF0AF709-4068-465E-9B38-427332E42250.jpeg
14D029D3-ABCE-4D39-B237-62300EACB5F4.jpeg

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She looks rough. I have food that helps with internal parasites. I can meet you in West Knoxville if you want to try it.

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs McJones I have the water coming up to temp right now, should have them both in qt in the next little bit. Should I had any of the bifuran+ or wait till I can get some prazi tomorrow?

@Katrina71 thank you- I will be back in Knox tomorrow for work (off today for the holiday).... I live in Roane county. I will likely have to purchase meds tomorrow anyway..what is the food you use and I will get some while I’m at it so I can have some on hand?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Crabs McJones I have the water coming up to temp right now, should have them both in qt in the next little bit. Should I had any of the bifuran+ or wait till I can get some prazi tomorrow?

@Katrina71 thank you- I will be back in Knox tomorrow for work (off today for the holiday).... I live in Roane county. I will likely have to purchase meds tomorrow anyway..what is the food you use and I will get some while I’m at it so I can have some on hand?
New life Spectrum. I'm off tomorrow if you can't find it. I can meet ya.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you quarantine them?

Kind of difficult to diagnose but I would probably go with bacterial infection and possible internal parasite.

Not ruling out Uronema.

Metro is pretty good for bacterial infection, metro and prazi are both good for internals.

API general cure can be had at PetSmart or Petco. Has both prazi and metro.

Good quality frozen food may help feeding.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you say your corals (and coralline algae) are also unhappy, is it possible a toxin is slowly contaminating the water? Household cleaner, bug spray, scented candle, etc.

Or possibly corals are releasing toxins as they're dying which are negatively affecting fish...

Do you run carbon??

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are in quarantine - little 8 gallon, that’s all I had available. Water is medicated with bifuran+ and I will get prazipro tomorrow. Male did eat tonight, some piscene mysid frozen. Female still not eating. I think their sides are where they are biting each other?? I watched them do it in QT. It’s like they can’t stand to be apart but they can’t stand to be together. Typical marriage I guess lol.

I have a sponge filter and airline going and I added some microbacter7 bacteria and some prime. I’ll pick up an ammonia badge tomorrow.

Tomorrow evening I know I’ll need to do a water change - how much? And dose meds based on total gallons or gallons of new water?

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you say your corals (and coralline algae) are also unhappy, is it possible a toxin is slowly contaminating the water? Household cleaner, bug spray, scented candle, etc.

Or possibly corals are releasing toxins as they're dying which are negatively affecting fish...

Do you run carbon??
I do run carbon - chemipure elite. I have wondered about coral toxins - my GSP died - how I do not know. But it was quite a large patch and it was in the corner where the clowns live.

I am super mindful of aerosol contaminants. I have major chemical sensitivities and the only aerosols in the whole house is deodorant, which gets sprayed on the other end of the house with the exhaust fan going. I don’t burn candles either, because of fragrance allergies.

The only other thing I can think of - I purchased a Kessil AP700 a few months back with the powder coated mounting arms. Since it was a retrofit, the brackets for the arms didn’t have enough room to fit between the tank and the wall, so I have them in the back of my AIO compartments with the heater, media, etc. Could this be bad?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other thing I can think of - I purchased a Kessil AP700 a few months back with the powder coated mounting arms. Since it was a retrofit, the brackets for the arms didn’t have enough room to fit between the tank and the wall, so I have them in the back of my AIO compartments with the heater, media, etc. Could this be bad?

Are the powder coated mounting arms making contact with the water? If so, that's probably not a good idea.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are they this morning? I'm going to make a run to the LFS too. If you tell me where you are getting meds, I can just hand off some of the food. It'll save you about 30.00. I know meds aren't cheap.

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are they this morning? I'm going to make a run to the LFS too. If you tell me where you are getting meds, I can just hand off some of the food. It'll save you about 30.00. I know meds aren't cheap.
Oh my goodness that would be amazing - thank you! I’ll get my meds from JKS it’s easiest for me to get to on my lunch break. If that’s not convenient I can meet you somewhere that’s easiest for you?
They are doing okay this morning, sleeping together in a corner of the qt.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh my goodness that would be amazing - thank you! I’ll get my meds from JKS it’s easiest for me to get to on my lunch break. If that’s not convenient I can meet you somewhere that’s easiest for you?
They are doing okay this morning, sleeping together in a corner of the qt.
I pm'd you my phone number.

Back