Clownfish Peeling While Copper Treatment

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some know I posted the other day about QTing fish and it's extreme importance.

My buddy chose to hand me his last clownfish to help bring back to life after his Velvet outbreak from not QTing.

24 hours into copper dosing in a sole tank, slimecoat started to deteriorate.

Only dosed up to 1ppm copper with Coppersafe.

Also using salifert test.

I just haven't seen a slimecoat peel this much with a copper dosing. None that I noticed at least.

All parameters seem to be in check. Only at 1.0 nitrates in this tank.

Any thought it's stress?

Or Brook as well?

My personal velvet issue with the Coral Beauty angel during his QTing has shown no signs of this peeling as of yet.

Confirmed Velvet because identical fish came from same LFS, same tank as well.

Mine was in QT, his was not.

I only have 5 plastic "fake rock" for freshwater and a small plastic shelter in this tank for bacteria purposes.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incase video above does not work.

Attachments

• 20210625_164204.mp4
    83.2 MB

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look into peroxide dip and freshwater dips. He needs relief quick. Those are not cures. And freshwater dip could kill him from how advanced this looks to me. But, people say, if they don't survive a fw dip, they were going to die soon, anyway. Not my words.

I'm probably giving bad advice here.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update the clownfish didn't make it. Not sure what really has caused it. Double checked parameters. Pretty sure was a mixture of maybe brook and velvet. Plus stress.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to hear. Coppersafe never would have helped as this peeling you saw was actually mucus from brooklynella often referred to as clown disease and affects clowns quickly. Formalin and formalin baths would have been the cure.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The clownfish was not like this yesterday. Was only exposed to a velvet overran tank. I worked all day today and noticed this today when I got home. I went ahead and ordered some more meds since I am personally adding a longer QT process. However did not have anything for Brook directly med wise.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The clownfish was not like this yesterday. Was only exposed to a velvet overran tank. I worked all day today and noticed this today when I got home. I went ahead and ordered some more meds since I am personally adding a longer QT process. However did not have anything for Brook directly med wise.
Sorry to hear about the clown. Just for future reference - I watched the video and it isn't clear what disease was involved, but I don't feel it was Brooklynella - too many distinct spots are visible, and the typical huge mucus sheets aren't present.

You weren't near full dose copper, so the reaction you saw wasn't from the copper, but rather, from not enough copper, and the disease was taking off. It is always best to go full dose copper ASAP with a sick fish, as copper can often take 3 days to begin working. Ich and velvet have a very similar end-stage, so I can't say for sure which was going on here.....

Jay

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was planning on increasing the dose yesterday, but I don't think it would of made a difference. My other tanks are currently at 1.5-2ppm with coppersafe. Though I plan on looking towards a formaldehyde procedure because from my understanding covers a wider variety such as brook and velvet compared to copper.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was planning on increasing the dose yesterday, but I don't think it would of made a difference. My other tanks are currently at 1.5-2ppm with coppersafe. Though I plan on looking towards a formaldehyde procedure because from my understanding covers a wider variety such as brook and velvet compared to copper.
Copper works well for velvet, just not Brooklynella.

Jay

Back