Clownfish, poop check

GazS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My male clown has this long string poop. Brown at bottom but mainly white. He is eating well and behaving normally. I feed a mix of frozen mysis, lobster eggs, brine and pellets. 1x week garlic.

Should i be treating this already ? Or wait and see?

Thanks!

20210607_123617.jpg
20210607_123556.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My male clown has this long string poop. Brown at bottom but mainly white. He is eating well and behaving normally. I feed a mix of frozen mysis, lobster eggs, brine and pellets. 1x week garlic.

Should i be treating this already ? Or wait and see?

Thanks!

20210607_123617.jpg
20210607_123556.jpg
Take a look at my article on mucus here (I can’t link it for you asking on my phone). It describes the reasons for stringy feces.
Jay

OP
OP
GazS

GazS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my article on mucus here (I can’t link it for you asking on my phone). It describes the reasons for stringy feces.
Jay
Thanks Jay, I gave that a read and am leaning towards benign diet change.

I introduced lobster eggs the day before and they ate like pigs. Assuming they were fatty and caused it. Today no issues and is active and fed well this morning on mysis.

OP
OP
GazS

GazS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So he is still having the white string poop. I have a problem because NO medicine is available in Europe. It appears to be banned and i cant find any API General Cure, metro medicine. Has anyone got an idea what to do in EU to get medicine for fish?

@Jay Hemdal how do you know if a clownfish is TOO skinny. I have a video here of the male, he seems ok behaviour wise but im unsure on how to gauge his weight.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Graham

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So he is still having the white string poop. I have a problem because NO medicine is available in Europe. It appears to be banned and i cant find any API General Cure, metro medicine. Has anyone got an idea what to do in EU to get medicine for fish?

@Jay Hemdal how do you know if a clownfish is TOO skinny. I have a video here of the male, he seems ok behaviour wise but im unsure on how to gauge his weight.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Graham

Fish body mass is a pretty subjective measure. In looking at the video, it seems to be a bit thin, but not abnormally so. Things I watch for in thin clownfish is a pinched belly, but also a raised lateral line/backbone. To add weight to a fish, feed multiple times daily, as much as it will take. Watch for fish taking in food, but spitting it back out. That can be a sign that the food is too large, or unpalatable, but can also be a sign of disease.

Sorry, I can't help you in regards to medications available in the EU.

Jay

OP
OP
GazS

GazS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for looking Jay. I’ll just have to keep an eye on him. Hopefully someone can chip in re where I can get medicine.

OP
OP
GazS

GazS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown fine?
Hi Harold, yes both clowns are fine thanks. I couldn't get any medicine here in Europe so I just started giving them garlic and vitamins once per week.
Rotate their food with a variety and they seem good so far.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back