Clownfish possible disease

fchac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently upgraded my 40b to a 115g reef. The fish that came over from the 40b were: 1 Clownfish, 2 blue chromis, yellow watchman/pistol pair, and a bunch of corals. Over the course of the last two months I added a fox face, lyretail anthias, neon dottyback, and a kole eye tang. Last week, all of the new additions died over the course of 4 days. The only fish with signs of anything were the foxface and tang. It looked like what seemed to be ich but they were eating but with how quickly they died I suspect maybe it was velvet. Everything left in the tank, the original from the 40b, have been fine except that for the last 3 days my clownfish has started getting weird spots and I’m not sure what it is. Her behavior has remained the same and she still eats as much as she can get. I’m not sure what these spots are. But I have attached a video, can anyone help to identify what it may be? The chromis and watchman have no spots at all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I recently upgraded my 40b to a 115g reef. The fish that came over from the 40b were: 1 Clownfish, 2 blue chromis, yellow watchman/pistol pair, and a bunch of corals. Over the course of the last two months I added a fox face, lyretail anthias, neon dottyback, and a kole eye tang. Last week, all of the new additions died over the course of 4 days. The only fish with signs of anything were the foxface and tang. It looked like what seemed to be ich but they were eating but with how quickly they died I suspect maybe it was velvet. Everything left in the tank, the original from the 40b, have been fine except that for the last 3 days my clownfish has started getting weird spots and I’m not sure what it is. Her behavior has remained the same and she still eats as much as she can get. I’m not sure what these spots are. But I have attached a video, can anyone help to identify what it may be? The chromis and watchman have no spots at all.
There was so much debris in tank making it hard to see but one thing sticks out is the amount of mucus around the face and the secondary bacteria lesions indicating brooklynella.
This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

OP
OP
F

fchac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you for the info, I have a spare tank so I will setup a quarantine. I don’t have a fish trap and probably can’t get one for a few days. What would be the best way to catch her? I have a net but she knows it’s coming and hides. Also, any suggestions on getting the goby out? He pretty much just chills with the shrimp under rocks all day

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video taken under white light?

Given that the tank apparently had a protozoan infection, I would just like to try and narrow it down.

Velvet causes rapid breathing, not eating, followed in a few days by death.
Marine ich causes white spots, but the fish still eat and don't die until the infection gets worse.
Brooklynella infects mainly clownfish, and looks like a white slime on the fish. They also swim oddly and breath heavily.

jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back