Clownfish question

amandap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 4 clownfish for my saltwater tank. I lost a bubble anemone 2 days ago and now i have a clown that is hanging out at the top of the tank and won't go anywhere else. I fed them the marine pellets like I was told and yesterday tried frozen food and he still isn't leaving that corner of the tank. I checked all my levels yesterday and they were all within range. Any suggestions?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfish can be weird at times. I would just keep monitoring him. He will eventually come around and eat. Plus I think every clown pair I’ve had love to stay in the corner and at the very top.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,1st thought,watch for aggresion :)

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t mess with anything and give it time. I feel like a lot of new people including myself try to mess with stuff to fix it and makes it worse. Give it a day or two and see

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your floor. How old is your tank? It seems like you're new, probably why the nemmie died. Wait at least 7 months before you try another..and do tons of research until then.

OP
OP
A

amandap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came out but is missing his top fin and the other clowns are chasing him. How can I save him?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
take him out ,even container w holes poked in w styro to float until can decide what to do with,they are going to kill fast,turn off lights easier to catch move in slow with net

OP
OP
A

amandap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now my 4 stripe damsel is chasing the other clownfish away from him. Its so weird. The clown is in the bottom corner of the tank and my damsel goes beside him and the damsel shakes his body next to him and now is chasing all the other clowns away from him. What is happening?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agression no dubt and these clowns can and may try to kill it . I would remove the two existing to your sump for a time out or other container allowing new clown to explore its' new surroundings.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns shake to show submission. Clowns are damselfish, maybe the damsel is submitting to the clown? Can a damsel even pair with a clown? Interesting.. any video of this?

OP
OP
A

amandap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the clown out because the other clowns kept chasing him and the damsel couldn't keep them all away. I did watch the damsel do the shake thing to one of the other clowns. I was told when I get clowns that I need to get several at a time and introduce them in pairs so I got 4. It seems like a really bad idea now. My son is running to the fish store to pick up another tank.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No..you don't need several at a time..you only try that if you want more than two, and you take a chance. Clowns are usually only kept in pairs because they will kill any not part of their pair.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back