Clownfish rapidly breathing

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! My clownfish is staying close to the bottom of the tank and is rapidly breathing. My cardinalfish died this morning with the same symptoms. I really don’t want to lose another! (I only have 2 in here now, 2 shrimp, 2 hermits) No new fish added recently either. I don’t really see “white spots” but he is starting to lean to the side when swimming. He also eats so much but now, no interest

salinity: 1.029
Ph: 8.0
Temp:77
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm (in b/w color)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

lots of live rock, no corals. I have a protein skimmer, filter, light, and air stone with air pump attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4065.MOV
    21.9 MB

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is real high... I would do a few 20% water changes every day with low salinity water until the tank gets down at least to 1.026ish. Other than that it could be disease, but let's eliminate one variable first. For a fish-only tank there is no need to have the salinity higher than 1.025 so I would target that in the long run.

edit: If you have the ability, I'd actually do a 50% at like 1.023 to do this quickly. Quick drops in salinity are not as stressful as raises.

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is real high... I would do a few 20% water changes every day with low salinity water until the tank gets down at least to 1.026ish. Other than that it could be disease, but let's eliminate one variable first. For a fish-only tank there is no need to have the salinity higher than 1.025 so I would target that in the long run.

edit: If you have the ability, I'd actually do a 50% at like 1.023 to do this quickly. Quick drops in salinity are not as stressful as raises.
I’m going to try this right now!

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up and how long have you had the fish? any signs until now?
I’ve had the tank for 4 months and the fish for 2 months and no signs until the water change I did on Tuesday def cycled cause I have pink algae forming on my one live rock. At least per my research this was good to have fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there! My clownfish is staying close to the bottom of the tank and is rapidly breathing. My cardinalfish died this morning with the same symptoms. I really don’t want to lose another! (I only have 2 in here now, 2 shrimp, 2 hermits) No new fish added recently either. I don’t really see “white spots” but he is starting to lean to the side when swimming. He also eats so much but now, no interest

salinity: 1.029
Ph: 8.0
Temp:77
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm (in b/w color)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

lots of live rock, no corals. I have a protein skimmer, filter, light, and air stone with air pump attached.
No need to do 20% water changes. Simply take large cup and bail out a cup of water and add RODI water to the sump Gradually. Keep doing this exchange until youve reached 1.024-1.025
Additionally, what test kits are you using ?
Lastly- has fish eaten yet for you? It looks quite thin and fins suggest possible aggression from tankmate

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had the tank for 4 months and the fish for 2 months and no signs until the water change I did on Tuesday def cycled cause I have pink algae forming on my one live rock. At least per my research this was good to have fish
Pink algae is likely cyano and may indicate elevated nitrate, phosphate or both.
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to do 20% water changes. Simply take large cup and bail out a cup of water and add RODI water to the sump Gradually. Keep doing this exchange until youve reached 1.024-1.025
Additionally, what test kits are you using ?
Lastly- has fish eaten yet for you? It looks quite thin and fins suggest possible aggression from tankmate
He was eating until today and did not eat as much as he normally does last night. No aggression- I only have cardinalfish (who passed this morning), lawnmower and that clown cause I didn’t want to overwhelm myself

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was eating until today and did not eat as much as he normally does last night. No aggression- I only have cardinalfish (who passed this morning), lawnmower and that clown cause I didn’t want to overwhelm myself
I am also using saltwater api master test and a refractometer

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am also using saltwater api master test and a refractometer
Reason I asked is I suspected API which is notorious for false reading and has let down many reefers hence the low price for a master test kit. Your levels are likely higher than the kit is showing.
I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits and have them check your water and see what numbers they come up with. Have them check phosphate too, then you may noy have to buy a kit

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I asked is I suspected API which is notorious for false reading and has let down many reefers hence the low price for a master test kit. Your levels are likely higher than the kit is showing.
I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits and have them check your water and see what numbers they come up with. Have them check phosphate too, then you may noy have to buy a kit
Oh no, what is a good tester for the future?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Oh no, what is a good tester for the future?
Hanna or salifert

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back