Clownfish reaction to PraziPro

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got these 2 clowns 3 days ago and started their Prazipro treatment today. The 3 days prior to treatment they were looking great and hosting one of the PVC pipes in the tank. Shortly after the Prazi treatment (1/2 teaspoon for the 10 gallons) they started pacing around the tank and ive seen them twitch a few times as well. Is this a normal reaction to Prazi?

Attachments

• 61954260104__C359C705-3B17-4E10-A039-0F32573D6458.MOV
    2.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May not be prazi causing this especially if they have brooklynella

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar symptoms with a clown when I treated with Prazi so I stopped using it. I start off with copper and feed food soaked in GC (General cure) and Focus. After 14 days in copper i then switch over to GC . I try to keep the fish well fed during it all.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a number of things brook they had flukes and its working or lack of oxygen in the water first thing would be to make sure of enough water flow

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a number of things brook they had flukes and its working or lack of oxygen in the water first thing would be to make sure of enough water flow
Would the HOB filter and air stone not be enough?

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar symptoms with a clown when I treated with Prazi so I stopped using it. I start off with copper and feed food soaked in GC (General cure) and Focus. After 14 days in copper i then switch over to GC . I try to keep the fish well fed during it all.
Yeah I may go this route. There going on 2 hours of pacing around the tank. There’s no way that’s good for them

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got these 2 clowns 3 days ago and started their Prazipro treatment today. The 3 days prior to treatment they were looking great and hosting one of the PVC pipes in the tank. Shortly after the Prazi treatment (1/2 teaspoon for the 10 gallons) they started pacing around the tank and ive seen them twitch a few times as well. Is this a normal reaction to Prazi?
Here is one thought: if the clowns do have flukes, the prazi makes the flukes move around , that causes the fish mild distress, and they will get all twitchy until the flukes actually drop off. That said, I can’t view your video on my phone. As others said, it could be coincidental to another related issue. I always treat for protozoans first, then prazi for flukes, since the protozoans are quicker to kill.
Jay

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on treating with copper first, but I noticed their poop was white, so I figured it would be better to treat actively first and then do the prophylactic treatments

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the video the clowns look like they are swimming normally to me.
Over the past three days, they have been swimming calmly and not darting around like they are looking for food constantly. Since the treatment they have yet to stop swimming rapidly. I could definitely be overreacting. This is my first time quarantining fish and treating them, so I’m a bit stressed out lol

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do two rounds of Prazipro before treating with copper in my 10gal QT AIO. I always run an airstone that ups oxygen level and produces a lot of flow (built-in return pump produces weak flow in tank).

I usually wait to start Prazipro until fish start eating.

The airstone increases evaporation so I have to monitor salinity closely. Fish can act strangely when salinity changes too much or too fast, IME.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past three days, they have been swimming calmly and not darting around like they are looking for food constantly. Since the treatment they have yet to stop swimming rapidly. I could definitely be overreacting. This is my first time quarantining fish and treating them, so I’m a bit stressed out lol
I see. Yah, may be low oxygen levels or they are trying to shake off what the prazipro is targeting. Are they eating?

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they’ve been eating really well and even ate once I started the treatment. I think it was a low oxygen issue/ irritated by the prazi. I’m running carbon now to pull the medication out, I added a powerhead, and replace the plexiglass lid with an egg crate Lid to help with oxygenation. I’ll give them a day without any medication, and then start up again

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they’ve been eating really well and even ate once I started the treatment. I think it was a low oxygen issue/ irritated by the prazi. I’m running carbon now to pull the medication out, I added a powerhead, and replace the plexiglass lid with an egg crate Lid to help with oxygenation. I’ll give them a day without any medication, and then start up again
Yah, great call on a non plexiglass solution for the lid. This would really cut down on oxygen transfer.

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice one of the clowns has a slightly hazy eye. Didn’t know if anyone had a thought on what that may be.

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share a video of how there doing now. Still swimming throughout the entire tank but slightly less frantic now. Perhaps they’ve gotten comfortable in the tank and we’re still getting acclimated the first few days.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back