Clownfish sick...with what?

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
About two months ago, I bought a pair of designer clowns from my LFS. a week and a half in, one of them stops eating and starts breathing very quickly. I tried a freshwater dip but he died the next day. The other one was fine, so I did not think it was contagious, so I bought another clownfish. A week later, the remaining original fish started exhibiting the same symptoms (stringy poop, rapid breathing, not eating). I treated with prazi pro and metroplex but neither seem to help. Yesterday, I did a freshwater dip and she's still alive today, but he still won't eat (I'm surprised she's still alive --> she hasn't eaten in two weeks). Does anybody have any thoughts on what this might be? The other fish I put in a week and a half ago (after the first one died) is doing just fine, fingers crossed. Recently, the sick fish has stopped moving all together and is just lying on her side in the sand, breathing very quickly and only moving her side fin (not her tail at all). Also, the scales on her tail seem to be falling off (it looks kind of bare? scratched? damaged?). the last thing I noticed was that her entire body is now gray instead of white (she is a wyoming white-ish morph). Any input would be appreciated -- thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_9794.MOV
    13 MB

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The movie isn't working for me. Can you take some pics in white lights?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Movie worked for me. Exactly as said, lying on side on sand with very rapid breathing. I'm no expert so I don't want to give bad advice. A freshwater dip may clear any build up on the gills. Hopefully some others chime in.
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
#reefsquad

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like a fish In Distress . FW dip may make matters worse. Adding oxygen via air stone will help.
many other unusual behavior?
- lethargic
- Mucus/ haziness over face or body?
- loss of appetite ?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I took a screenshot at least
Sounds like a fish In Distress . FW dip may make matters worse. Adding oxygen via air stone will help.
many other unusual behavior?
- lethargic
- Mucus/ haziness over face or body?
- loss of appetite ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210531-003121_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210531-003121_Video Player.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 31

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It stays in the same spot and very rapid breath

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like fish will not make it very unfortunately

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like fish will not make it very unfortunately
Thanks for help vetteguy. One of these days maybe I'll actual be able to help someone on my own lol. I'm trying...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for help vetteguy. One of these days maybe I'll actual be able to help someone on my own lol. I'm trying...
Yes, that fish is moribund - close to death, there isn't anything you can do for it unfortunately. You need to consider damage control now, to try and save the other fish (1 other clown?). I can't say for certain, but the one disease that causes rapid breathing as the only major symptom is velvet, Amyloodinium. I'm not 100% on board with that yet because typically, all fish become infected and die very soon to one another, and that other clown in the video still looks pretty good. Additionally, the stringy feces seen is not a symptom of velvet.

Jay

OP
OP
gaki

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. She’s still hanging on by a thread. Actually, the fish store has been very supportive, supplying me with free prazi pro and metroplex. Once this one dies (hate to be morbid) I’ll wait a month or two to get another, just to rule out any parasites. The strange part about it is that she was fine for two weeks after going into the tank, but then picked it up after the first one died. It is really strange how the other one hasn’t picked it up.
Enjoy your long weekend and thanks again!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back