Clownfish size/feeding question

brandonj978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a question regarding the size and sex dynamic between two clownfish.
I have two ocellaris clownfish that ive had for about 6 months. one female and one male. Often times during feeding I will notice that the smaller male clownfish will appear to eat slightly more during feeding just because the female has “bad aim” when targeting food sometimes, lol. Its not that the female doesnt eat. She is still gaining weight and is noticeably fatter right after feeding. The male clown just seems to be smarter and targets the larger pieces of food first.
My question is, over the long term, will the male catch up in size to the female and potentially cause problems such as fighting/two females, etc? Or do clownfish have a biological way of regulating size? Does anyone have any experience in this department? Thanks.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there's lots of fascinating information on clownfish sex selection. Clowns are sexually dimorphic (females larger than males and are the top bananas in groups). Gets even more interesting when you realize that the dominant male can turn into a female if the female dies. Suggest a few google searches on these interesting fish.

OP
OP
B

brandonj978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there's lots of fascinating information on clownfish sex selection. Clowns are sexually dimorphic (females larger than males and are the top bananas in groups). Gets even more interesting when you realize that the dominant male can turn into a female if the female dies. Suggest a few google searches on these interesting fish.
Yes, that much I understand. Im certain I already have one male and one female.. question is, could a male outcompete a female for food and become a female, while already in the presence of a female in the group.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a question regarding the size and sex dynamic between two clownfish.
I have two ocellaris clownfish that ive had for about 6 months. one female and one male. Often times during feeding I will notice that the smaller male clownfish will appear to eat slightly more during feeding just because the female has “bad aim” when targeting food sometimes, lol. Its not that the female doesnt eat. She is still gaining weight and is noticeably fatter right after feeding. The male clown just seems to be smarter and targets the larger pieces of food first.
My question is, over the long term, will the male catch up in size to the female and potentially cause problems such as fighting/two females, etc? Or do clownfish have a biological way of regulating size? Does anyone have any experience in this department? Thanks.
From my experience breeding clownfish, once you have a male and female in a tank they stay that way. This is for just 2 clowns in a tank. If you have 3 or more clowns in a tank, the females are always the dominant fish that reproduces with a dominant male. If the female dies, then the dominant male changes sex (typically) while the subdominant males fight to become the dominant male that breeds with the new female.

As far as size goes, females are typically larger than males. I've never seen a male the same size or larger than a female, especially with the Amphiprion biaculeatus (maroon clowns) species.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back