Clownfish skin peeling

kiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Hoping to get some answers - really not sure about what I'm dealing with, or if im actually dealing with a disease. I have a pair of clowns and 1 royal gramma in a 75g. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the male clown didn't eat and some of its skin looks like its peeling off/turning brown. I immediately put it in a QT tank and thought it was brook. At that time, i didn't have anything to treat it (I'm still new to this and definitely my first time trying to diagnose) but i ordered formalin and prazipro after reading stuff here. I did a 3 minute freshwater dip as well but didn't see any flukes come out. I didn't get to use prazi/formalin because they both arrived so late (prazi hasnt arrived) but after that day of him not eating, the clownfish is perfectly normal and eating well but its skin still looks brownish on some spots (see pic). The female clown and royal gramma are both normal pigs.

I don't know if this is normal for a clown/should i even perform treatment given that formalin is kinda hard on a fish.

Any advise is appreciated.

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys.

Hoping to get some answers - really not sure about what I'm dealing with, or if im actually dealing with a disease. I have a pair of clowns and 1 royal gramma in a 75g. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the male clown didn't eat and some of its skin looks like its peeling off/turning brown. I immediately put it in a QT tank and thought it was brook. At that time, i didn't have anything to treat it (I'm still new to this and definitely my first time trying to diagnose) but i ordered formalin and prazipro after reading stuff here. I did a 3 minute freshwater dip as well but didn't see any flukes come out. I didn't get to use prazi/formalin because they both arrived so late (prazi hasnt arrived) but after that day of him not eating, the clownfish is perfectly normal and eating well but its skin still looks brownish on some spots (see pic). The female clown and royal gramma are both normal pigs.

I don't know if this is normal for a clown/should i even perform treatment given that formalin is kinda hard on a fish.

Appears to be excessive mucus or bacterial as pics are fuzzy to confirm but leaning towards brook. A 5 minute freshwater dip will help offer relief but treatment will be in quarantine setting with treatment either being formalin based med such as quick cure which is hard to find or ruby rally pro which works but takes a little longer.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Do the lesions look like bruises under the skin, only under the white areas? That’s what it looks like in the photo. If so, I’ve been trying to figure out what this is - I’ve not had any cases of this myself, but I’ve been seeing a lot of cases here….so far, no definitive cause or treatment, sorry.
Jay

OP
OP
K

kiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be excessive mucus or bacterial as pics are fuzzy to confirm but leaning towards brook. A 5 minute freshwater dip will help offer relief but treatment will be in quarantine setting with treatment either being formalin based med such as quick cure which is hard to find or ruby rally pro which works but takes a little longer.
that's also what i thought too. do you think it makes sense for brook to not affect the fish after 2 weeks? i've heard brook kills fast. also the blurred areas appear to be mucus in the picture but actually its white color is kind of fading on those areas
Do the lesions look like bruises under the skin, only under the white areas? That’s what it looks like in the photo. If so, I’ve been trying to figure out what this is - I’ve not had any cases of this myself, but I’ve been seeing a lot of cases here….so far, no definitive cause or treatment, sorry.
Jay
i'm not so sure but most of his black spots are unaffected yes. the white spots are fading and some have turned brown. do you remember what happened to those cases you've seen previously? perhaps i can look at those threads

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
that's also what i thought too. do you think it makes sense for brook to not affect the fish after 2 weeks? i've heard brook kills fast. also the blurred areas appear to be mucus in the picture but actually its white color is kind of fading on those areas

i'm not so sure but most of his black spots are unaffected yes. the white spots are fading and some have turned brown. do you remember what happened to those cases you've seen previously? perhaps i can look at those threads
May need clearer pics/video under white lighting to confirm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a link to my thread asking about this issue:
Jay

OP
OP
K

kiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both. I tried to get a better picture but i don't really have a better camera. but i don't think its excess mucus, there's no extra coating rather some parts of the skin just turns brownish.

Jay that's helpful, that seems to be more closely related to my issue. the clownfish is still normal and it's been 2 weeks. i will observe him for another week and then put him back. perhaps i could use the prazi i bought since i already have it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back