Clownfish spiraling out of control

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

i came home from work today and my black storm clownfish was spinning out of control- still is! I’ve had this clown since December 6th with another black storm clown and a tailspot blenny. They where all added at different times, the black storm with the issue was thw first one, the tail spot was most recently added (dec 23rd). No meds in the tank right now, I was doing observation qt and fattening everyone up before I start copper. This is also the dominant clown so bullying shouldn’t be a factor. They both at normally this morning and currently both the other clown and blenny are acting normal

best way to describe is it plane that lost a wing and spiraling rapidly at every level of the tank.

tank stats:
10 gallon
Heater: Aqueon preset 50w
Filter: aquaclear 20
Light: ambient from my plant lights
Furniture: pvc fittings
Salinity:1.026 (hannah)
Temp: 76.5 (Hannah)
Ammonia: 0 (seachem alert badge, will do red sea test when I get back home from dinner)

I’ll try and attach a vid, if it doesn’t work I’ll do it properly when I get back but I feel like Its been described pretty well if I can’t. Never seen this before.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gf just updated me that the spinning has stopped however his swimming is wobbly at best and still occasionally spinning but not like before.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Video not working but can be several things not limited to aggression, Bladder issue, internal issue and more.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video not working but can be several things not limited to aggression, Bladder issue, internal issue and more.
Any way I can rule anything out or get anything started for treatment? Going to get a breeder box from work on my way home so he’ll be less likely to injure himself.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any way I can rule anything out or get anything started for treatment? Going to get a breeder box from work on my way home so he’ll be less likely to injure himself.
Video would have helped but Maracyn 2 , and prazi Pro comes to mind

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video would have helped but Maracyn 2 , and prazi Pro comes to mind
I could get prazi tomorrow
Maybe parasite or sick? Check out this old thread i came across http://www.3reef.com/threads/spinning-clownfish.128341/page-2#ath
Its possible, I’m confident there is ich in the tank but so far everonws immune systems seem to be keeping it at bay, I just want them to be a little mor robust before I start copper. Thanks for the link, unfortunately it didn’t seem like any conclusions where made

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could get prazi tomorrow

Its possible, I’m confident there is ich in the tank but so far everonws immune systems seem to be keeping it at bay, I just want them to be a little mor robust before I start copper. Thanks for the link, unfortunately it didn’t seem like any conclusions where made
good luck bud!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try putting a rock in the tank to see if it scratches against it.. in a bare tank it has nothing.

i would agree.. he's got a weird problem.
Now that you mention it I did see the blenny flashing a little yesterday off the pvc- maybe I shpuld do some freshwater dips? I got him in mesh breeder box now and he’s just laying on the bottom breathing heavily but not hyperventilating, one eye is now enlarged apthough not cloudy, might have bumped it while he was spinning. I think putting a rock in there would be dangerous with the speed he’s been spiraling with, he definetly doesn’t have the coordination required to flash right now sadly. Thank you for the suggestions, hope I can bring him back, this is my first clownfish.
good luck bud!
Thank you, hopefully we can figure this out.

@Jay Hemdal have you ever seen this?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it I did see the blenny flashing a little yesterday off the pvc- maybe I shpuld do some freshwater dips? I got him in mesh breeder box now and he’s just laying on the bottom breathing heavily but not hyperventilating, one eye is now enlarged apthough not cloudy, might have bumped it while he was spinning. I think putting a rock in there would be dangerous with the speed he’s been spiraling with, he definetly doesn’t have the coordination required to flash right now sadly. Thank you for the suggestions, hope I can bring him back, this is my first clownfish.

try a dip.. maybe copper.. but he may be too far gone to actually help. sorry.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This does not look good at all. Agonal paroxysm is what this is called, fish sometimes do this when they are dying.
I got a brief glimpse, it looks like the clown is pretty skinny, is it thinner than the other one?
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As much I hate to say, this fish which is a beauty is in trouble and death is certain. Its hard to see if there was aggression but does not appear to be. Did you notice last couple of days if clown was breathing normal and if poop was white and stringy ?

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does not look good at all. Agonal paroxysm is what this is called, fish sometimes do this when they are dying.
I got a brief glimpse, it looks like the clown is pretty skinny, is it thinner than the other one?
Jay
I was hoping for a better prognosis but I figured it would be stretch. When I got both of them they we're relatively skinny but have always been showing a healthy interest in food. I've been feeding new life spectrum growth pellets daily except for days where I feed spirulina brineshrimp and mysis (2-3 times a week). whenever they are done eating they both have had noticeable bulges and the one thats having the issue has actually been eating the majority of the food. I there anything I could have that could have caused this or is this just crap luck? It must have been brought on by something because he has been really solid since I got him.
As much I hate to say, this fish which is a beauty is in trouble and death is certain. Its hard to see if there was aggression but does not appear to be. Did you notice last couple of days if clown was breathing normal and if poop was white and stringy ?
I've been keeping close eye out for that and none of the fish have shown any signs of internal parasites. breathing up until tonight has always been normal except on first introduction or after a water change but always returned back to normal within an hour or so. really at a loss as to what would bring this on so rapidly.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he didn’t survive the night. I’m going to contact the store I got him from because I’m pretty sure the other that the seller had passed away before I got the one I have. I’ll ask if he experienced something similar and if he did then I guess that batch just had some issues. I watched him at the store for a good 20 minites and have been watching him for at least 10 minutes nearly everyday and never saw anything more alarming than wajt appeared to be a spot or two of ick that disappeared two days after I got him and no other spots had shown on him or the other to. I made sure he was eating at the store and like I said he was eating really well for me although obviously not as plump as I’d like them to be.

I feel like there has to have been something I could have done differently.

I’ll keep a close eye on everyone else. Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%

Back