OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if these aren’t high def. its hard to tell, But the larger one’s mouth is discolored and she is breathing fast.

B298867E-3CB8-45C2-90F0-D641782D428B.jpeg FFDAF0FC-A60A-4B95-A543-6F2E2FED19B7.jpeg 46BF928A-3053-49FD-82AB-35B9BC8C3D9B.jpeg 4B753771-1B95-47A6-9B9A-C4E00B3B534F.jpeg A97CA687-EFA6-4B0E-A0CB-73D0D3FBD445.jpeg

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to bug everyone again, but if anyone has a possible diagnosis please tell me. I don’t want to treat at the last minute, and I don't really have any idea of what’s wrong with her or how bad it is/will get. If more pictures / information is needed, please ask. Thanks in advance!

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to bug everyone again, but if anyone has a possible diagnosis please tell me. I don’t want to treat at the last minute, and I don't really have any idea of what’s wrong with her or how bad it is/will get. If more pictures / information is needed, please ask. Thanks in advance!
Based off the photos I don’t really see anything, looks normal to me. Are there any other behavioural things going on? When’s the last time you’ve tested the water? Did you start the cycle with these two or a fish less one?

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off the photos I don’t really see anything, looks normal to me. Are there any other behavioural things going on? When’s the last time you’ve tested the water? Did you start the cycle with these two or a fish less one?

It’s hard to see I’m the photos, but the larger one’s face appears discolored white. I don’t see any other behaviors other than being lethargic, but they were both swimming around happily a second ago. No signs of flashing again. I tested the water yesterday. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate abt 20, pH 7.8 Sg: 1.023 ish. I cycled fishless with ghost feeding and bio spira in about 2 weeks.

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to see I’m the photos, but the larger one’s face appears discolored white. I don’t see any other behaviors other than being lethargic, but they were both swimming around happily a second ago. No signs of flashing again. I tested the water yesterday. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate abt 20, pH 7.8 Sg: 1.023 ish. I cycled fishless with ghost feeding and bio spira in about 2 weeks.
Clowns can be weird with swimming and such, to me both the faces looked normal when I zoomed in, I would focus on getting them to eat. Have you tried at all today?

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be weird with swimming and such, to me both the faces looked normal when I zoomed in, I would focus on getting them to eat. Have you tried at all today?
Yes, thats currently the goal as I don’t know whats wrong. I tried this morning but they both spat out their pellets. I will try again later today. The garlic is arriving tomorrow, so I will try with that as well. I just add a few drops to the pellets right?

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thats currently the goal as I don’t know whats wrong. I tried this morning but they both spat out their pellets. I will try again later today. The garlic is arriving tomorrow, so I will try with that as well. I just add a few drops to the pellets right?
Just follow the label, if they are just spitting it out, they may just prefer something else atm. At least they are going for it, it could be too big for them to swallow

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow the label, if they are just spitting it out, they may just prefer something else atm. At least they are going for it, it could be too big for them to swallow
It’s just weird because they’ve been eating them all week lately. They’re the smallest hikari pellets, but I could halve them. I’m currently soaking them in water before feeding if that makes a difference. Ill just have to see if the garlic does anything for her appetite if no other symptoms show up.

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just weird because they’ve been eating them all week lately. They’re the smallest hikari pellets, but I could halve them. I’m currently soaking them in water before feeding if that makes a difference. Ill just have to see if the garlic does anything for her appetite if no other symptoms show up.
Don’t just rely on garlic, I’d get another food

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are what I feed, clowns go crazy for both, I’d say prefer the reef frenzy. One of my clowns will eat out of the tip of the syringe I feed with

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are what I feed, clowns go crazy for both, I’d say prefer the reef frenzy. One of my clowns will eat out of the tip of the syringe I feed with

image.jpg image.jpg
Unfortunately those flakes don’t seem to be available in the states. I’ll look for the reef frenzy, but I don’t know if my Lfs has it in stock.

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately those flakes don’t seem to be available in the states. I’ll look for the reef frenzy, but I don’t know if my Lfs has it in stock.
If not, get a frozen mysis, Hikari is probably available there

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test with frozen mysis or frozen artemia as @JaykS suggest. If they still spit out and if they get lethargic, daker colouration and shy - look for stringy white poops. if all of these indications happens (spitting out/not eat, lethargic, dark colouration, shy, hiding and stringy white poop) - it could be an acute infection of flagellates from the family hexamitidae. The only thing that will help in that case is drugs based on metradizonole (or its derivatives). It can be administered as bath and your aquarium seems to be without other lifeforms - it means that you can treat in the aquarium. However - your fish seems to have their natural colouration and do not hide - I doubt it is a hexamite infection. If you treat with metradizonole like drugs - be aware that it will also wipe out your fishes natural gut fauna (it is effective against the normal gut bacteria too). When you restart the fish after that treatment - it is important to use food that is very easy to digest like frozen artemia and in very small amounts in the beginning. IMO - this is a treatment that should be done only if you are sure it is a hexamite like infection - not as a safety treatment.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test with frozen mysis or frozen artemia as @JaykS suggest. If they still spit out and if they get lethargic, daker colouration and shy - look for stringy white poops. if all of these indications happens (spitting out/not eat, lethargic, dark colouration, shy, hiding and stringy white poop) - it could be an acute infection of flagellates from the family hexamitidae. The only thing that will help in that case is drugs based on metradizonole (or its derivatives). It can be administered as bath and your aquarium seems to be without other lifeforms - it means that you can treat in the aquarium. However - your fish seems to have their natural colouration and do not hide - I doubt it is a hexamite infection. If you treat with metradizonole like drugs - be aware that it will also wipe out your fishes natural gut fauna (it is effective against the normal gut bacteria too). When you restart the fish after that treatment - it is important to use food that is very easy to digest like frozen artemia and in very small amounts in the beginning. IMO - this is a treatment that should be done only if you are sure it is a hexamite like infection - not as a safety treatment.

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you for the extensive information! I will definitely look for those signs. Out of curiosity, if it is hexamita, what is the survival rate for clownfish?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back