OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking a bit better! Both fishes' faces have returned to normal coloration. I picked up some mysis, and the larger clown took a little bit. I also tried adding garlic and a fish oil pill to the pellets and he seemed to eat a few and then start spitting again. Unfortunately, the smaller clown has stopped eating. Hopefully, he'll recover and start eating soon. Thanks to everyone for their advice!

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it looks like some issue has come back. I don't know if it's related, but yesterday there were white salt-like spots on them. Now, it looks like there are fewer spots, but more of mucus on the outside of the fish. Very fast breathing, approx 3-4 beats per second. I thought ich yesterday, but now it's looking like velvet or brook. I'm leaning towards brook as they're neither reclusive nor constantly swimming in powerheads. Is it too late to treat? Should I do a FW dip? I have no hospital tank. Thanks in advance.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I thought prazipro was reef safe, and only harmful to tube anemones etc. not corals? In any case, is this something I should treat, or does the fish require treatment?

Prazipri is safe in the tank. It doesn't get absorbed by rocks or anything like that
I would use it if you are worried

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipri is safe in the tank. It doesn't get absorbed by rocks or anything like that
I would use it if you are worried
I have prazipro, but I'm not sure I understand. It doesn't seem like flukes; I can visibly see spots and mucus. Can prazi help with brook/ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fast of a respiration rate is close to the point where the fish collapses. Without a hospital tank, there isn't anything that I can suggest other than a 5 minute FW dip on the worst fish, just to see if it provides any relief. Trouble is, it won't cure them b/c the fish has to be returned to the same tank (sorry!).

Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it looks like some issue has come back. I don't know if it's related, but yesterday there were white salt-like spots on them. Now, it looks like there are fewer spots, but more of mucus on the outside of the fish. Very fast breathing, approx 3-4 beats per second. I thought ich yesterday, but now it's looking like velvet or brook. I'm leaning towards brook as they're neither reclusive nor constantly swimming in powerheads. Is it too late to treat? Should I do a FW dip? I have no hospital tank. Thanks in advance.
I have prazipro, but I'm not sure I understand. It doesn't seem like flukes; I can visibly see spots and mucus. Can prazi help with brook/ich?

I posted that and then saw your lasted post. You could try seachem focus and metroplex (garlic may help the taste) and mix that into food to feed. Otherwise you can try and just remove any inverts you have and dose metroplex right into the tank. API general cure and focus work too.

I think that your only hope at this point is to try the meds fast since they will probably not make it another day

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - praziquantel won't help with ich/brook/Uronema, just flukes and some other worms. The FW dip, if it offers the fish relief, will ehlp with flukes (it is very common for fish to have more than one disease cooking at the same time).

jay

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fast of a respiration rate is close to the point where the fish collapses. Without a hospital tank, there isn't anything that I can suggest other than a 5 minute FW dip on the worst fish, just to see if it provides any relief. Trouble is, it won't cure them b/c the fish has to be returned to the same tank (sorry!).

Jay
It sounds like there's really nothing I can do then. Maybe I could put them in a sterile bucket after the dip? If they both do pass, how long do you recommend I fallow for?

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that and then saw your lasted post. You could try seachem focus and metroplex (garlic may help the taste) and mix that into food to feed. Otherwise you can try and just remove any inverts you have and dose metroplex right into the tank. API general cure and focus work too.

I think that your only hope at this point is to try the meds fast since they will probably not make it another day
Unfortunately, none of the stores near me carry any of those medications. I will do the FW dip to try to ease their symptoms. Thank you for your help.

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read several articles about fish spitting up food. It has many causes, the first of which is food. Repeated use of a food that makes fish bored or an excess of food leading to mushy and rotting are all reasons why fish spit out food immediately when they eat.

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read several articles about fish spitting up food. It has many causes, the first of which is food. Repeated use of a food that makes fish bored or an excess of food leading to mushy and rotting are all reasons why fish spit out food immediately when they eat.

When the fish is only playing, they will take the food in or out of their mouth. If you see it from happening, it is normal for you to think that it has to have some issues, but the fish is actually fine. Just check if the fish are showing some symptoms of illness and infection; if not, the fish is only just playing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back