Clownfish spitting out food

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any spots or other symptoms of ich, so I suspected flukes. No other obvious symptoms. I will try the garlic. Would I cut up a clove and soak the food in the juice?

I bought a clown back In June same exact behavior. I just tried to feed everyday and anytime it wouldn't take the pellets I would skim out the Un eaten food and try again the next day. Eventually he ate like normal now he won't stop

I'd give him a few days. Clowns can eat every other day and you shouldn't have a problem.

All over this forum they have taught me clowns are ****** weird

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a clown back In June same exact behavior. I just tried to feed everyday and anytime it wouldn't take the pellets I would skim out the Un eaten food and try again the next day. Eventually he ate like normal now he won't stop

I'd give him a few days. Clowns can eat every other day and you shouldn't have a problem.

All over this forum they have taught me clowns are ****** weird
I see. I was just concerned because they ate like pigs over the last week and they stopped. I‘ll definitely wait though.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I was just concerned because they ate like pigs over the last week and they stopped. I‘ll definitely wait though.
I panic alot too, I'm very good at noticing changes in behavior so everytime my clown acts different I panic. If I learned one thing it's clowns are an enigma and act very strangely.

Have your Temps or salinity swung at all? Do you have algae growth or something he could be pigging on when ur not looking

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I panic alot too, I'm very good at noticing changes in behavior so everytime my clown acts different I panic. If I learned one thing it's clowns are an enigma and act very strangely.

Have your Temps or salinity swung at all? Do you have algae growth or something he could be pigging on when ur not looking
Any fish deciding to stop eating can be a cause for concern, I say keep an eye on it for more flashing or scratching while trying new foods and garlic. If it persists and still not eating anything, I would treat

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit pricey but LRS food has been really good for me, once my tang tried it once he goes crazy for it even just from the smell in the water. Clowns are eating anything

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish deciding to stop eating can be a cause for concern, I say keep an eye on it for more flashing or scratching while trying new foods and garlic. If it persists and still not eating anything, I would treat
I +1 this. My clown didn't flash that I saw at all. But Def stopped eating for a day once or twice since I've had em.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I +1 this. My clown didn't flash that I saw at all. But Def stopped eating for a day once or twice since I've had em.

Forgot to add in if it lasts over a day Def try all the tricks to get them to eat if still no then consider meds like @JaykS said

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I did perform a water change to raise salinity a 0.001-0.002 sg. Maybe the the temp want matched perfectly either. I don’t have any algae at all.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, and you recommend treating with the prazipro? Or could it be something else other than flukes?

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is good for flukes, if you have to medicate follow those two links I sent exactly and you’ll be great.

Just gonna restate that I would wait and try other foods first, I had ich in my tank and didn’t decide to pull the fish till about a week after noticing. I was watching for other spots, behaviour and contemplating whether or not it was worth it to do it. I ultimately pulled all my fish and put them in qt and have dt going fallow. I’m about 10 days into +2ppm copper power and everyone is happy and eating, even got the tang on nori. I only mention this because unless it’s velvet, and you’ve seem to have noticed behaviour changes fast, you have a little bit of time to make sure you understand the situation and how to go forward.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is good for flukes, if you have to medicate follow those two links I sent exactly and you’ll be great.

Just gonna restate that I would wait and try other foods first, I had ich in my tank and didn’t decide to pull the fish till about a week after noticing. I was watching for other spots, behaviour and contemplating whether or not it was worth it to do it. I ultimately pulled all my fish and put them in qt and have dt going fallow. I’m about 10 days into +2ppm copper power and everyone is happy and eating, even got the tang on nori. I only mention this because unless it’s velvet, and you’ve seem to have noticed behaviour changes fast, you have a little bit of time to make sure you understand the situation and how to go forward.
I haven’t really noticed my symptoms other than the decreased appetite and the flashing once. No spots or behavior changes other than one being lethargic yesterday. I just Tried to feed and she is still spitting pellets, but seemed to keep one or 2 down. Once the garlic arrives, I’ll try it and go from there. If the garlic does nothing, I’ll dose prazipro. If it’s not flukes, I cant really do anything cuz I don’t have a qt.

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t really noticed my symptoms other than the decreased appetite and the flashing once. No spots or behavior changes other than one being lethargic yesterday. I just Tried to feed and she is still spitting pellets, but seemed to keep one or 2 down. Once the garlic arrives, I’ll try it and go from there. If the garlic does nothing, I’ll dose prazipro. If it’s not flukes, I cant really do anything cuz I don’t have a qt.
Get something else then just pellets imo, it’s like feeding your kid McDonald's everyday. Try something frozen as well, even a flake if you want. I don’t feed pellets but I’ve heard they can be a phosphate bomb, if they fish enjoy other stuff as well it could also help with parameters

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get something else then just pellets imo, it’s like feeding your kid McDonald's everyday. Try something frozen as well, even a flake if you want. I don’t feed pellets but I’ve heard they can be a phosphate bomb, if they fish enjoy other stuff as well it could also help with parameters
I’ll look into getting some frozen mysis then. If it isn’t flukes, can the fish naturally recover? And if they can’t, are there any treatments that don’t involve a qt?

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into getting some frozen mysis then. If it isn’t flukes, can the fish naturally recover? And if they can’t, are there any treatments that don’t involve a qt?
Yes if they eat frozen or another food they will be fine. Same with the garlic with the pellets. Once they are eating, if it was garlic that got them on it, I would slowly ween them off garlic and back the regular whatever.

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, prazi can and may suppress appetite, so again try other foods.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if they eat frozen or another food they will be fine. Same with the garlic with the pellets. Once they are eating, if it was garlic that got them on it, I would slowly ween them off garlic and back the regular whatever.
Gotcha, hopefully they start eating soon. I’ll update the thread (hopefully with good news). Thank you for your help!

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it appears her condition has worsened (or I didn’t notice it yesterday). Her gills are constantly moving and her mouth is opening and closing. She is kinda lethargic, just staying in her little spot and swimming around. Anyone know what this could be an indication of? Should I Treat now Or wait to try the garlic? No other symptoms, no white Spots. Maybe @Humblefish could help?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back