Clownfish spots

ReeferDMD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a relatively new tank and this is the only current inhabitant. I first noticed the single white spot last Thursday and today took some more pictures (more spots). Fish is eating normal but I did notice some flashing on a rock for the first time today. Any help is appreciated!

96B41A2B-46C7-4A9C-A34B-C2936FCE606A.png 80F99F42-39BD-4E8E-B024-1523B1D8A196.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

More information is needed, the picture doesn't show very much, just one possible spot on its left pectoral fin. A short video, as well as the water quality parameters would give us more insight. This post explains all that:

Thanks,

Jay

OP
OP
R

ReeferDMD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to be here! This website is a great resource and I appreciate any input I can get. I took my water to the LFS and he said the water tested normal (no ammonia or nitrite).

Attachments

• C57B03E5-7146-4D67-B750-D7AA2AC2CAD6.jpeg
    C57B03E5-7146-4D67-B750-D7AA2AC2CAD6.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 73726F43-030A-44D4-AFE8-5449A2C8B729.jpeg
    73726F43-030A-44D4-AFE8-5449A2C8B729.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 22
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    30.2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to be here! This website is a great resource and I appreciate any input I can get. I took my water to the LFS and he said the water tested normal (no ammonia or nitrite).

A couple of observations; your tank needs better gas (air) exchange. You should add an air stone, but at least, drop the water level a bit so that the filter dumps water back into the tank with a splash. Circulation alone doesn't mix gasses in a tank properly, you need to agitate the surface. Then, the flashing/scratching shown by the fish indicates some external parasite. Ich is the common one, but that also shows as white spots, the size of salt grains, on the fish's fins and body....starting with a few spots that come and go, but then, more and more spots as time goes own (like over 5 days or so). That is best treated with copper in a bare hospital tank (tough, I know). In the absence of slat sized spots, a fish that scratches often has flukes. that, is more easily treated by dosing the tank with prazipro twice, 8 days apart (but you need really strong aeration while doing that).

Jay

OP
OP
R

ReeferDMD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the heads up about the circulation. I lowered the water level and have a power head coming tomorrow. The clown is the only thing in the tank right now. Would hyposalinity take care of this issue? Thanks again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the heads up about the circulation. I lowered the water level and have a power head coming tomorrow. The clown is the only thing in the tank right now. Would hyposalinity take care of this issue? Thanks again.
Yes, hyposalinity can cure flukes - run it at 1.012 for 30 to 35 days.
Jay

OP
OP
R

ReeferDMD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Nemo seems to be doing pretty well. Hasn’t become covered in white spots and has been eating well and active. Haven’t seen any flashing. Within an hour of lowering the water level and allowing the surface to bubble his demeanor changed. He started doing a lot more of the puppy dog style wagging. I’ve been curious since I got him why he hasn’t seemed to bob in place like clownfish I typically see. Thank you so much for the heads up as I didn’t even realize I was not aerating the tank properly. At this point are there any steps I should take or should I just continue to monitor? Thanks again Jay!

OP
OP
R

ReeferDMD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I’ve been monitoring the situation and seems like no new white spots appeared. Fish has a great appetite and for the most part seems ok but whenever I do water changes or clean the tank it starts again with more labored breathing and gill scratching. At this point can I assume it’s flukes? Any suggestions are helpful thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0560.MOV
    40.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I’ve been monitoring the situation and seems like no new white spots appeared. Fish has a great appetite and for the most part seems ok but whenever I do water changes or clean the tank it starts again with more labored breathing and gill scratching. At this point can I assume it’s flukes? Any suggestions are helpful thanks!

I'm still concerned about the limited gas exchange (from what I can see in the video). It may be o.k., but increasing it never hurts.

Flukes really cannot be visualized, you most often need to diagnose them based on other symtoms. Rapid breathing, scratching and pale/tattered appearance are all common symptoms of various flukes.

Prazipro is a pretty safe treatment for flukes: dose it twice, 8 days apart, with a 25% water change prior to the second treatment. However, Prazipro scavenfges oxygen so you will need to add an air stone to this tank for certain if you dose it.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back