Clownfish Swim Bladder Issue?

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clownfish that has some sort of issue. Occasionally throughout the day he just lays on the sand. He doesn’t seem to be struggling to breathand is easy to arouse but something isn’t right for sure.

He seems to be expending a lot of energy swimming because it looks like he has a weight tied to his tail. He swims in a slightly heads up orientation all the time and seems to sink as soon as he stops “fighting”.

He does also seem to have some pelvic fin damage that I suppose could also be playing a part.
I have attached a video.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tank info
3 weeks old, Cycled a little over a week ago. Clownfish added after ammonia at zero.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- ~10
Phosphate- Barely Registers on Salifert Test maybe 0.01
DKH- 8.0
pH- 8.2
Temp- 79
Salinity- 1.023

Those have all stayed consistent through the 10 days I’ve had the fish except nitrates started closer to 5.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video of it? If you attached one, I missed it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, a still shot of the entire tank is helpful.

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E2BF2DF1-3288-40AC-B03E-D8504F8F21E7.jpeg

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the fish is struggling against the current - can you try turning down the powerhead for a bit and see if that helps?
It’s funny you say that…I did do that and he is doing better but the video you are watching is with the powerheads off ‍♂️

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice looking tank for sure! You have lots of Coraline growth on the rocks, but curiously, you don't have it anywhere else.

I do not observe anything in the picture to suggest the issue is parameter related.

Post a video and then get some feedback from @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank for sure! You have lots of Coraline growth on the rocks, but curiously, you don't have it anywhere else.

I do not observe anything in the picture to suggest the issue is parameter related.

Post a video and then get some feedback from @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081

I just bought the rocks that way, the tank is less than a month old. The video should be available above now

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another video showing how he swims…I have turned off all flow in the tank except the HOB’s and he still just looks like he’s swimming much harder than the other clown and will just go “take a break” in the sand every once in a while. Although it has definitely gotten better (less often for shorter periods) since I turned the flow down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is not a bouyancy issue but may be from strong current. Shut pumps off for 5 minutes and see if swimming behavior is corrected.

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a bouyancy issue but may be from strong current. Shut pumps off for 5 minutes and see if swimming behavior is corrected.

In the video you watched I had just turned the flow off about 5-10 minute prior and he was still swimming like he was a salmon returning to spawn.

I will continue to monitor. Both of them do seem a bit more active since I turned it off; exploring parts of the tank they never really went to before.

Thanks for the input.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In the video you watched I had just turned the flow off about 5-10 minute prior and he was still swimming like he was a salmon returning to spawn.

I will continue to monitor. Both of them do seem a bit more active since I turned it off; exploring parts of the tank they never really went to before.

Thanks for the input.
is the fish eating?
Is it breathing normal or labored?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He is eating, very well. Super energetic and darts to the food everytime.

He does not seem to have labored breathing.
Are you feeding flake and pellets only?

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding flake and pellets only?

Mainly just pellets. I did recently switch from a very fine freshwater pellet (didn’t realize it was freshwater, may not matter) to a larger marine pellet but I the behavior was happening before hand as well.

I tried some frozen brine but they had no interest. Honestly the smaller of the 2 is very small, the brine shrink were probably too big for him, he would always try it and spit it out.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back