Clownfish Swimming vertically on sides of tank

zoe11032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’m new here! I have 2 mocha clowns, who I just got 2 days ago. I also have 2 hermit crabs in there. I have a 13.5 gal fluval EVO which I’ve been cycling for 6 weeks. Last night around 1am, the fish started swimming vertically up and down on the corners of the tank, this morning, however, they are completely back to normal. I’ll post all info of my tank below if that’s a possible culprit. Some people say this is a normal night time behavior for clownfish, just making sure.

pH: 7.9-8.0
salinity: 1.023
temp: 77.5-78
nitrates: 5ppm

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be a common case of your clowns hosting the corners of your tank and sleeping. Both of my clowns do the same thing on the return from the filter. Once lights are on, they return back to normal. Clownfish will always host "something" Maybe a thermometer or a heater or their favorite rock. But usually it is something silly like the silicone seal on your tank.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish swimming practices often confound me. Mine have adopted a corner of the tank, just as other have indicated.

If you can supply a video, we'll look at it to see if anything unusual, but at the moment I'd chalk it up to new fish in a new tank.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back