Clownfish Tail Fin Damage - Disease or Aggression? Next Steps...?

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had my 2 clownfish for about 3.5 months now. I put them through the Hybrid Tank Transfer Method of quarantine and then had them in a 20 gallon OT for about 3 months before moving them into a newly cycled 175 DT. They were in OT with a Zebra Barred Dartfish who completely ignored them.

One of my clownfish (the male, presumably), is concerning me. I posted about it here (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-does-this-clownfish-look-to-you-sick-or-healthy.778991/). In short, he's had a white-ish film on him for months. I've done a FW dip and a Ruby Reef Rally dip. Nothing seemed to make it go away, so I ignored it. Just recently, his fins began looking a little thin. But he was swimming, eating, and behaving fine. And since he seemed fine, I added the two clowns and the ZBD to the DT. They all seemed fine again. Everyone is eating and swimming around fine. I figured if it was Brook, it would either respond to the FW/RRR treatments or have died a while ago.

But this evening, I noticed that the male clown's tail fin looks damaged. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but you can kind of tell from the video. To me, it looks more ripped like from nipping or aggression than it does from something like fin rot from disease or ammonia burn, but I'm not an expert. Despite the tail damage, he is eating fine and getting around the tank. The ZBD hardly comes out of his cave, so if it is aggression, it doesn't appear to be coming from him and I've never seen the two clowns be aggressive towards each out.

I know clowns aren't the best swimmers, but I've had two MP40s on reefcrest at 35% on the 60" long tank. Sometimes it looks like they are swimming pretty hard to fight the current. At night I've been running a constant speed at 20%. I've turned down both speeds in the meantime, but I wasn't sure if too much flow could've damaged an already weak/thinning tail fin.

My tank parameters are all within normal ranges.

Any suggestions? I've thought about catching him and doing another FW or RRR dip. Or possibly API General Cure, but I don't want to medicate for the sake of medicating. I just haven't found the smoking gun as to what is causing the issue.

PXL_20201201_042549523.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Are you using decent test kits, not API? Ammonia will burn the fins off fish, so be sure your ammonia is zero. your tank looks very new and I question if your cycle is completed yet. Treet with Prime if you have any ammonia. Good luck!

OP
OP
thewalkingdad

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Are you using decent test kits, not API? Ammonia will burn the fins off fish, so be sure your ammonia is zero. your tank looks very new and I question if your cycle is completed yet. Treet with Prime if you have any ammonia. Good luck!

Thanks for the response. The tank is about 1 month old. I used the Brightwell method of cycling it (the ammonia additive, the starter bacteria, and microbacter 7). I used all Red Sea test kits to test my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back