Clownfish trouble

clowny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a female wyoming white clown. Love it. I want to get another similar clown. frostbite, snowflake, wyoming. Any of them. How do i know if its compatible. does it need to be male, size, ETC. please help

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All clownfish are born male until one establishes dominance then that one will eventually turn female. So with that said I would either get one a little smaller than the clown you have or the same size and let them do what nature does best. As a particular clown you can really pick whatever clown you want as long as it’s in the same family as the ones you mentioned!!!

OP
OP
C

clowny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clownfish are born male until one establishes dominance then that one will eventually turn female. So with that said I would either get one a little smaller than the clown you have or the same size and let them do what nature does best. As a particular clown you can really pick whatever clown you want as long as it’s in the same family as the ones you mentioned!!!
Currently i have a maroon and peninsula clown is that same family? they r doing fine

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding three clowns to a tank always ask for trouble since they probably have already established a territory. Adding another with make the new one venerable to attacks from the others. Can you take pictures of the clowns you have now?

OP
OP
C

clowny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, here they are. I want to get RID of the maroon and get another designer like a wyoming or snowflake. But i dont want to get another designer and give away my maroon for my current designer to kill/not like the new one. Pics are below

IMG_1553.JPG IMG_1554.JPG IMG_1555.JPG

aquapaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also it is a safe bet if you get a new to pair up getting one half the size of your current clown has a better chance of aggression being less during the period they are working through the dominance issues. I have done this a couple of times with great success in the past. as said before having more than 2 can be tricky and you should research Clown Circus or Clown Harem and follow those threads if that is the path you want to go and have the proper sized tank for it to be successful long term.

OP
OP
C

clowny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also it is a safe bet if you get a new to pair up getting one half the size of your current clown has a better chance of aggression being less during the period they are working through the dominance issues. I have done this a couple of times with great success in the past. as said before having more than 2 can be tricky and you should research Clown Circus or Clown Harem and follow those threads if that is the path you want to go and have the proper sized tank for it to be successful long term.
no, i want 2 designer clowns. but i started with a maroon. i just got my first desginer and am afraid that if i get another designer they wont get along so i want to know the best method to get rid of my maroon and get a 2nd designer that will work well with the current one i have

aquapaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, i want 2 designer clowns. but i started with a maroon. i just got my first desginer and am afraid that if i get another designer they wont get along so i want to know the best method to get rid of my maroon and get a 2nd designer that will work well with the current one i have
I would find a new home for you maroon, once that one is gone I would get a new ocellaris clown that is half the size of your Wyoming white to add in to the tank. I just added a new black ice to an existing midnight without troubles and has been about 3 weeks now.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want designer clowns then I would get rid of the maroon clown then add another designer of your choice. Then let them figure out who is gonna be the dominant one. This way you’ll have a better chance of success with only 2 clowns instead of three.

OP
OP
C

clowny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find a new home for you maroon, once that one is gone I would get a new ocellaris clown that is half the size of your Wyoming white to add in to the tank. I just added a new black ice to an existing midnight without troubles and has been about 3 weeks now.
ok cool will do that. also i want to get an anenome have no experience with corals yet though. any guidance on that. this tank is 1 1/2 months in and doing great

aquapaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool will do that. also i want to get an anenome have no experience with corals yet though. any guidance on that. this tank is 1 1/2 months in and doing great
Wait on the anenome until the tank is a bit more mature and parameters are consistently stable.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon rehoused
For clowns, The safest way to add is when you add the same species, same color and pattern, but the new add is much smaller, say, half inch....unless the current clown is already say half inch, then you can just match the size as both would be considered sexually immature...

BD56E23D-8ECF-4B13-8342-5CB9080E7328.jpeg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also be aware that clownfish and anemones only host one another when they are ready. Sometimes right away, or in my case 3 years.....and some never.
I tried every trick in the book and never had any luck at all.i was trying to catch a fish in my tank(not the first time either) and the clownfish jumped in the nem to hide from me. I had all but given up in the hosting happening.

corey

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back