Clownfish w/ white Lesions on operculum

BlmorReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all,

I've introduced a pair of clownfish to my freshly cycled 29g biocube and I've noticed one of them (male I believe) has developed white, sometimes fuzzy spots on the operculum that seem to change daily. It also looks like there is tissue necrosis around the area as little holes in the flesh have developed almost overnight. It is all isolated to the left side gill area. His respiration rate is really elevated and he doesn't seem as interested in food as before (I'll be feeding other options today). The other clown appears to be unaffected.
PXL_20220120_205756855.jpg
PXL_20220124_173555932.jpg
PXL_20220124_182405121.jpg

I'm new to saltwater fish so I've been researching common diseases. I initially thought it might be lymphocystis but there are none of the spots commonly seen on the fins. I looked at similar threads which describe these white lesions to possibly be a healing wound, but I'm just not sure.

Any ideas on what this is and how I can treat it?

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish appears to have brooklynella which has developed to secondary bacterial infection
First thing to do is give it a freshwater dip if it’s not breathing fast- this offers temporary relief
Normally my suggestion is formalin based treatment but with this outbreak- I recommend a 90 min bath with ruby rally pro followed by a 19-14 day treatment using ruby rally which is reef safe
Increase aeration adding an air stone during treatment
Is clown eating?
How is its’ breathing rate?
Age of tank?
Type of test kits you are using ?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all,

I've introduced a pair of clownfish to my freshly cycled 29g biocube and I've noticed one of them (male I believe) has developed white, sometimes fuzzy spots on the operculum that seem to change daily. It also looks like there is tissue necrosis around the area as little holes in the flesh have developed almost overnight. It is all isolated to the left side gill area. His respiration rate is really elevated and he doesn't seem as interested in food as before (I'll be feeding other options today). The other clown appears to be unaffected.
PXL_20220120_205756855.jpg
PXL_20220124_173555932.jpg
PXL_20220124_182405121.jpg

I'm new to saltwater fish so I've been researching common diseases. I initially thought it might be lymphocystis but there are none of the spots commonly seen on the fins. I looked at similar threads which describe these white lesions to possibly be a healing wound, but I'm just not sure.

Any ideas on what this is and how I can treat it?

Thanks
That’s really strange looking. With the respiration rate elevated, a systemic infection is probable. Could be Brooklynella as mentioned, but that usually involves the fish’s skin more or less equally - but the rapid respiration lines up with that.
Can you post a short video of the fish? That helps me see how elevated the respiration rate is.

Jay

OP
OP
B

BlmorReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish appears to have brooklynella which has developed to secondary bacterial infection
First thing to do is give it a freshwater dip if it’s not breathing fast- this offers temporary relief
Normally my suggestion is formalin based treatment but with this outbreak- I recommend a 90 min bath with ruby rally pro followed by a 19-14 day treatment using ruby rally which is reef safe
Increase aeration adding an air stone during treatment
Is clown eating?
How is its’ breathing rate?
Age of tank?
Type of test kits you are using ?
Thank you for your response.

As it's potentially brooklynella would you suggest dipping and treating both fish? He has had these spots for a few days, I thought brook kills pretty quickly? I fed mysis and flake food today and he didn't eat anything.
His breathing rate is still very high. The tank has been running for a month and a half now. I'm using API for nitrate and phosphate and switched to Salifert for calcium and alkalinity.

OP
OP
B

BlmorReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really strange looking. With the respiration rate elevated, a systemic infection is probable. Could be Brooklynella as mentioned, but that usually involves the fish’s skin more or less equally - but the rapid respiration lines up with that.
Can you post a short video of the fish? That helps me see how elevated the respiration rate is.

Jay
Here's the respiration rate at the moment.

Attachments

• PXL_20220125_012524414.mp4
    46.2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the respiration rate at the moment.
O.K., thanks. Rapid and shallow breathing, I couldn't get a good count on it, but probably around 150 bpm.

I don't suppose you have access to formalin? It is tough to get now days, but if this is either Brooklynella or a (rare) fungal infection, a 75 to 100 ppm formalin dip with good aeration for 45 minutes is what I would suggest. This *could* be a bacterial infection though, and formalin won't help that.

I can't explain why the other clown doesn't have symptoms, nor why this one doesn't have more extensive lesions if it was Brooklynella.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for your response.

As it's potentially brooklynella would you suggest dipping and treating both fish? He has had these spots for a few days, I thought brook kills pretty quickly? I fed mysis and flake food today and he didn't eat anything.
His breathing rate is still very high. The tank has been running for a month and a half now. I'm using API for nitrate and phosphate and switched to Salifert for calcium and alkalinity.
I never did and never will trust API kits as false readings are proven from them. Ive urged many to get a second Non-API test and they were in shock as to how much API was off.
Not eating is a sign of gill issue, my guess. . . mucus associated with Brook , same applies to rapid breathing and secondary bacteria.
When did this facial issue start developing ?

OP
OP
B

BlmorReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., thanks. Rapid and shallow breathing, I couldn't get a good count on it, but probably around 150 bpm.

I don't suppose you have access to formalin? It is tough to get now days, but if this is either Brooklynella or a (rare) fungal infection, a 75 to 100 ppm formalin dip with good aeration for 45 minutes is what I would suggest. This *could* be a bacterial infection though, and formalin won't help that.

I can't explain why the other clown doesn't have symptoms, nor why this one doesn't have more extensive lesions if it was Brooklynella.

Jay
I'm making a trip to the fish store tomorrow, I'll see if they have any on hand that I can use. Do you recommend a certain antibiotic treatment?

OP
OP
B

BlmorReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did and never will trust API kits as false readings are proven from them. Ive urged many to get a second Non-API test and they were in shock as to how much API was off.
Not eating is a sign of gill issue, my guess. . . mucus associated with Brook , same applies to rapid breathing and secondary bacteria.
When did this facial issue start developing ?
Thanks for the heads up on API kits. I found a picture of the fish taken on 1/12 (three days after the fish were added) where I can first see the white spots developing. Would you suggest a freshwater dip at this point? I don't want to stress him out too much.

Attachments

• PXL_20220112_204348853~2.jpg
    PXL_20220112_204348853~2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 35

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the heads up on API kits. I found a picture of the fish taken on 1/12 (three days after the fish were added) where I can first see the white spots developing. Would you suggest a freshwater dip at this point? I don't want to stress him out too much.
FW dip will stress it a little, If the fish is not stressed out - I would bypass that but treat ASAP

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making a trip to the fish store tomorrow, I'll see if they have any on hand that I can use. Do you recommend a certain antibiotic treatment?
Maracyn 2, Furan-2, Kanaplex are all options. Stay away from "tonics" go with a true antibiotic, one that hits gram negative bacteria.

Jay

OP
OP
B

BlmorReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the help.

I found him resting on the sand last night so I did an emergency dip in freshwater for three minutes. Sadly, he didn't make it through the night. Here's a close up of the wound. No clean up crew at the moment.

PXL_20220125_163717337.jpg PXL_20220125_163811052.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the help.

I found him resting on the sand last night so I did an emergency dip in freshwater for three minutes. Sadly, he didn't make it through the night. Here's a close up of the wound. No clean up crew at the moment.

PXL_20220125_163717337.jpg PXL_20220125_163811052.jpg
Sorry to hear - is that missing it’s entire gill cover? Since no clean up crew to do that, it must have been a REALLY aggressive infection!
Jay

OP
OP
B

BlmorReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear - is that missing it’s entire gill cover? Since no clean up crew to do that, it must have been a REALLY aggressive infection!
Jay
Just about, it surprised me how extensive it was. The fish store thinks possibly he brushed up against a rock and encountered some nasty bacteria.

Back