Clownfish white face?

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have searched similar post but nothing quite as specific.
This started as just white blurs around the mouth of the clownfish fish about a month ago, which has now moved to all over the face of the clown.

I bought these two in a pair equal sized that were raised together from a buddy. The other clown is not showing any symptoms.

I currently do not have a QT set up as I only have this 14 gal biocube, only stocked with 2 clowns & coral.

(In the video, return pump is off for preparation to clean GHA. )

Any thoughts?

EE3019F7-5D7D-4484-A8F5-A749FFC5E8E4.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3652.MOV
    30 MB

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, maybe @Jay Hemdal will come across this. Definitely looks concerning. How long has it looked like this? Might be worth grabbing a small tank just in case you end up needing to treat it.

OP
OP
I

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, maybe @Jay Hemdal will come across this. Definitely looks concerning. How long has it looked like this? Might be worth grabbing a small tank just in case you end up needing to treat it.
I have noticed the face being white for 6+ months, but it is slowly getting more and more covered. It is acting fine and eating like normal. I just don't want to introduce another fish possibly and it be a disease.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had something similar to a pair of clowns we bought. Raised together. Both developed some white around the mouth. Not "fuzzy" and never spread beyond the mouth area. The one with less got better. The one with more stabilized in that he wasn't getting more of the white stuf...but then he stopped eating and perished soon after. No explanation. Some thought it was them trying to establish dominance but we never saw them fighting. Someone else thought it might be them trying to "host" on something but we had no other life in the tank.

OP
OP
I

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. No explanation. Some thought it was them trying to establish dominance but we never saw them fighting. Someone else thought it might be them trying to "host" on something but we h
Thank you for sharing so im not the only one with this issue!

I bought them from a buddy early on and didn't expect them to both be the same size, but he raised them together so i figured there wouldn't be any other issues.

I do see them occasionally going back and forth "nipping" each other, actually the one with the white face is the one that 99% of the time, nipping the other one - that could possibly explain it....maybe??(its a stretch, I know lol)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing so im not the only one with this issue!

I bought them from a buddy early on and didn't expect them to both be the same size, but he raised them together so i figured there wouldn't be any other issues.

I do see them occasionally going back and forth "nipping" each other, actually the one with the white face is the one that 99% of the time, nipping the other one - that could possibly explain it....maybe??(its a stretch, I know lol)
I just watched the video. I've never seen this sort of depigmentation so widespread on a clownfish before. Usually, it is just a small spot, often due to being stung be a coral, or damage from fighting.

I did notice what you said, that the pale-faced clown is definitely aggressive to the other one. You should keep an eye on that in case the fighting escalates. Watch for torn fins and scale damage.

The fact that this clown is so feisty, and since we don't know the cause, I can't think of any need to treat this. Clowns rarely get head and lateral line erosion, (and that looks different) but there is a related syndrome called epithelial thinning. I've never seen it in clowns, but it is characterized by just a thinning/paleness to the fish's face and head. Nobody knows the cause of that though.

Jay

OP
OP
I

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched the video. I've never seen this sort of depigmentation so widespread on a clownfish before. Usually, it is just a small spot, often due to being stung be a coral, or damage from fighting.

I did notice what you said, that the pale-faced clown is definitely aggressive to the other one. You should keep an eye on that in case the fighting escalates. Watch for torn fins and scale damage.

The fact that this clown is so feisty, and since we don't know the cause, I can't think of any need to treat this. Clowns rarely get head and lateral line erosion, (and that looks different) but there is a related syndrome called epithelial thinning. I've never seen it in clowns, but it is characterized by just a thinning/paleness to the fish's face and head. Nobody knows the cause of that though.

Jay
Thank you for the feedback Jay!
I will keep an eye out and let you know what ends up transpiring!

OP
OP
I

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very odd situation we have here.

Would the white face on the clown be because the trachy is hosting my clown??
I have only seen the one with the white face down by the trachy..

I took this video… and came back 15 minutes later to find the Trachy looking like it does in the photo. what the heck is going on??

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very odd situation we have here.

Would the white face on the clown be because the trachy is hosting my clown??
I have only seen the one with the white face down by the trachy..

I took this video… and came back 15 minutes later to find the Trachy looking like it does in the photo. what the heck is going on??

Sorry, I don't see a video attached. Clownfish do develop skin lesions from hosting some LPS corals, but in my experience, those result in black or dark pigmented areas, not light like this..

Jay

OP
OP
I

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why the video didnt load in the link.

I added a RBTA this past Saturday, so it is relatively new to my tank, but that clown with the white face is still hanging around my Trachy. With that being said, it is not causing the Trachy any issues from what I can tell. Should I make an acrylic box around my Trachy as an attempt to keep the clown from hosting it? Or should I just let it be?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why the video didnt load in the link.

I added a RBTA this past Saturday, so it is relatively new to my tank, but that clown with the white face is still hanging around my Trachy. With that being said, it is not causing the Trachy any issues from what I can tell. Should I make an acrylic box around my Trachy as an attempt to keep the clown from hosting it? Or should I just let it be?
As long as the coral is open and the clownfish’s isn’t getting worse, I’d leave them be for now. Boxing corals can disrupt light and water flow.
Jay

OP
OP
I

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the coral is open and the clownfish’s isn’t getting worse, I’d leave them be for now. Boxing corals can disrupt light and water flow.
Jay
So the clownfish continued hosting the Trachy and the face got noticeably worse. I ended up up building an acrylic guard to put around it.

Is death inevitable in this case? I don’t have a QT tank, I added a RBTA but they both have 0 interest as I believe they are both captive bred.
AD0E829F-D888-45D7-B891-2D14F12B3544.png

Here is a video of both clowns.
Any suggestions?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the clownfish continued hosting the Trachy and the face got noticeably worse. I ended up up building an acrylic guard to put around it.

Is death inevitable in this case? I don’t have a QT tank, I added a RBTA but they both have 0 interest as I believe they are both captive bred.
AD0E829F-D888-45D7-B891-2D14F12B3544.png

Here is a video of both clowns.
Any suggestions?
I would just try to ensure there is good water flow through the box.

jay

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, drill wáy more holes in it, as much as you can.
I have once built a "coral cage" from some leftover top net cover and tie raps. 100% flow and light guaranteed.

OP
OP
I

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Still no luck getting the anemone to host the clowns, however I the clownfish still appears to be acting normal!

Attachments

• C0A6A5EB-03D1-4533-939B-2CD0D38E9E0E.jpeg
    C0A6A5EB-03D1-4533-939B-2CD0D38E9E0E.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 64

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back