Clownfish, white poop

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day I had a clown fish die. I did a thourogh inspection of him and couldn't find any spots or anything that looked off (to me). They have been in my tank for a little over a month. I didn't notice any off behaviors from any fish. I have 25 small clowns. No other fish. I have added two batches of small corals since. Dipped in coral rx per directions. Today I noticed a few fish with white stringy poop. I just changed food to new life spectrum pellets last week. They get mysis about once a week. After the death I upped my feeding thinking maybe he wasn't getting his share. I do about a 30 gallon water change once a week and a few days before the death I did accidently swung my salinity from 1.024 to 1.026. Amonia 0 nitrite 0 Nitrates are about 2. pH 8.0-8.1. Water temp is 78-78.5 Is it possible my water changes are too big? (I will not be changing my salinity again and I will be sure my testing is correct) Just want to make sure I am taking good care of these guys and don't want to lose anymore. Any thoughts are appreciated.
1541732157699.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the salinity swing can stress fish. The small amount you had it vary is not likely to be an issue.

I would recommend adding General Cure + focus to your frozen food for 14-21 days. See if that clears up the white stringy poop.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll want to soak microwaved/drained frozen foods in general cure and focus. General cure contains prazi and also kills other internal ailments. Feed for 10-14 days. The focus product by seachem is very important as it keeps the meds bound to the food. Sorry for your loss!

OP
OP
westmichigan

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will pick some up tomorrow. Will these harm my corals or inverts? Thanks for the replies. I will update in a few weeks or if I see anything else.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will pick some up tomorrow. Will these harm my corals or inverts? Thanks for the replies. I will update in a few weeks or if I see anything else.
The GC is bound to the food by using Focus as a binder. Just don't overfeed and leave lots floating around in the tank. A turkey baster can suck up some of the extra uneaten GC/food. Smaller and a bit more frequent feedings rather than a large feeding is the best practice. Good luck with your clowns!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back