Clownfish with gill abrasion/growth?

BearsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I've been searching threads for the past five days but I am still unsure how to treat my clown. I figured I'd ask.

About 5 days ago I noticed a small raised bump on my clowns cheek. Was unsure if it was new so I decided to watch it. Started searching threads to see if anyone else had experience with something similar.

Within the last 48 hours the clown was starting to show newer symptoms poor color/faster breathing/lethargy/internal parasite poops(unsure if related to the gill bump but will be treating for anyhow) and the bump seemed larger.

So far I've done a freshwater dip and put the clown in QT. I did not notice flukes falling off during the FW dip, so I've ruled that out. I'm am still unsure whether I should treat for bacterial, fungal, parasites, or a combo of the three.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
VideoCapture_20210912-114047.jpg
VideoCapture_20210912-114107.jpg
20210912_111229.jpg
20210912_111020.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The spot on the clown’s cheek may not be related to the more recent issue.
What is the fish looking like now, that last picture puts it in a pretty bad state.
In the last two pictures, there seems to be some diffuse white patches between the second and third white stripes….that could be Brooklynella.
What is the tank’s water quality like, especially ammonia?
How long have you had the fish?
What other animals are in with it?

Jay

OP
OP
BearsReef

BearsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last picture is during the freshwater dip. The first and second are after I removed him from the dip just before I put him in the QT, sorry they are out of order. Here is a video of him now in the QT. It's the best he's looked in 2 days actually.

Water parameters in the DT are:
Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.05
Nitrate: >50
pH: 7.6 (this is a .4 drop from the last two weeks)
KH: 7.3

It is a 90 gallon LPS reef with (before I'm harped on they came with the tank, I am working on rehoming the tangs)
1 Yellow Tang
1 Naso Tang
1 Hippo Tang
1 Clown (now in QT)
1 Pink Spot Goby
1 Large green brittle star + many tiny ones
And a handful of hermit crabs

I have had the tank for 3 weeks now, but it has been established with the current inhabitants for many years. The only thing I have changed about the routine from the original owner is the frequency of WC (they were doing 30% every 30-45 days, I've been doing 10% once a week hoping to help with the nitrates) and the position of the heater. Since I have had the tank, the clown has hung out in the corner with the heater cord and would regularly wedge himself between it and the glass. Here is the tank
20210912_152030.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back