Clownfish with Ich/Brook?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I am in a state of realizing a lot. Let me start with saying my clown that I have had for almost a year (most likely 10 ish months, not sure exactly). Has developed something that appears to be ich or brook. My clown had ich when I had gotten the pair originally. Sadly the large clown died, and the small one pulled through with the help of a freshwater dip, and some reef safe medication. That was a while ago though. Yesterday I noticed the clown had about 8-12 spots on it, and I was shocked. I had not added any fish for more than a month (I had a scooter blenny added that went through qt). And all my other fish look fine (my smaller clown I got about 5 months ago, my fire fish and my skinny scooter that seemingly will never fatten up despite being treated and eating frozen food and live BBS).

I have noticed the clown has always had these sort of scars on its head after getting over ich, and they always remained, but the fish always looked healthy, and doubled in size. I was seeing my clown beginning to host my anemone and digging it’s head into it sporadically but did not think much of it since clowns and anemones are weird. But I’m thinking that my mysterious fish losses in the past 4 ish months is attributed to Brook remaining in my tank. I previously had a Cleaner goby (that I did not QT, and I began QTing everything after the fact) get lymphocytes and or Brook.
And later my clown goby, and blenny looked weak one day died mysteriously shortly after despite being QT’d, and my chromis that was my first fish died in the blink of an eye a month ago.

so I moved the clown to my QT tank and I am treating my DT with reef safe medication, and my QT with API Ich Cure, and Seachem Metroplex.

Here is my clown when I moved him into QT today. He has some little sores I think as well which I did not notice until just now.
7E6C49C1-7293-4A30-B016-6FEE74D5DC67.jpeg
815AA537-E35C-449D-A3EE-DFCF9D326EB9.jpeg
079FF50B-5F23-484D-A2F4-D25789AB0277.jpeg 5079A98A-3C29-457B-84D8-27BC65E3CE0B.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While reef meds are OK, they will not clear your fish or DT of the parasites in the long term.
Only a fallow period of 45 with elevated heating or 76 normal temp days can break the cycle.
Only Hypo or TTM for ick, or copper for either, in isolation will eradicate it from the fish.
while I do see scares, maybe hypermelanization, I see a few dots which maybe ick.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While reef meds are OK, they will not clear your fish or DT of the parasites in the long term.
Only a fallow period of 45 with elevated heating or 76 normal temp days can break the cycle.
Only Hypo or TTM for ick, or copper for either, in isolation will eradicate it from the fish.
while I do see scares, maybe hypermelanization, I see a few dots which maybe ick.
I did add another image highlighting the areas in particular i mentioned, and may add more that show it clearer.

Yeah, I did not think it would be completely eradicated. But I am at least going to try, and definitely will raise my temp a bit. My firefish has been bomb-proof from day one, and I feel like moving it would give it a parasite. The clown and scooter I want to leave for now. I have a small QT, and if I need to I will add the small clown to the QT as well, and may just give away the scooter blenny. The scooter has concerned me a bit. It never fattened up. Despite all the pods in my tank, me giving him Live Baby Brine Shrimp, and him eating frozen food enriched with selcon and vitamins. So I have no clue what is wrong with him. I have soaked food in medication, and used Prazipro in my DT but he seems to stay very skinny. :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back