Clownfish with internal parasites

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I am super new and trying to put my knowledge together but I’m still kind of floundering so bare with me please!!

I got two clowns in a 29g AIO about a week ago and one has now started with some white stringy feces. she’s been very normal but today has been a bit more lethargic along with my other now. I have a powdered version of general cure but what I’ve read is that it won’t do much if it’s internal. I live pretty rural and have some seachem focus coming in the mail tomorrow but I’m terrified she’s gonna go downhill fast and I’ll lose her. I’m so attached to them already - is it alright to just set the powder in the tank ahead of time or would it be smarter to just wait? Right now I only have my main tank and have live rock and sand in, I’m just so nervous I can’t think straight in fear of messing up

OP
OP
noyowo

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much for responding - is there a way maybe to set a qt rapidly? i can probably grab a very cheap 10 gal this evening but i’m worried the stress of a new tank would make her worse

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly would not say QT is the only hope.
Good food will help, if you can get some frozen food I would do that, even better if you can soak it in some seachem vitality or similar.
I have used general cure binded with food to fix internal parasites, but they've also commonly gone away on their own with healthy feedings many times. I don't know if GC will help in your case, it may or may not have in mine.
just want to add, sometimes throwing together a QT on the fly, especially when new to the hobby, can just add extra stress to both you and the fish.
Also welcome to reef2reef

OP
OP
noyowo

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow I can’t even begin to say how much I appreciate this lol

I fed some frozen food the first half of the week but neither of them seemed to really get it? But I got them Terra Marine flakes after reading up on best options and they love those. I’ve been doing about once a day timing them about 3 min to eat a small pinch and removing the rest. Would moving to pellets be smarter?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow I can’t even begin to say how much I appreciate this lol

I fed some frozen food the first half of the week but neither of them seemed to really get it? But I got them Terra Marine flakes after reading up on best options and they love those. I’ve been doing about once a day timing them about 3 min to eat a small pinch and removing the rest. Would moving to pellets be smarter?
Dry foods aren't super nutritious is the main issue with them. New life spectrum pellets are great, but usually need to be ordered online.
Petco and petsmart should carry frozen brine shrimp, this is a good place to start if you can get some!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back