Clownfish with lesion near mouth?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have an ocellaris that has been going from one disease to the next. Starting to wonder if she is doomed. There are no husbandry issues that are obvious to me and parameters in the tank all fall within the normal range for a mixed reef and all other fish in the tank are outwardly healthy.

Today the problem is some sort of skin lesion or infection near his mouth. See photo below.

Any ideas? @Jay Hemdal

PXL_20210916_163947664.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have an ocellaris that has been going from one disease to the next. Starting to wonder if she is doomed. There are no husbandry issues that are obvious to me and parameters in the tank all fall within the normal range for a mixed reef and all other fish in the tank are outwardly healthy.

Today the problem is some sort of skin lesion or infection near his mouth. See photo below.

Any ideas? @Jay Hemdal

PXL_20210916_163947664.jpg
What other fish are in with it? Any other clowns? Mouth damage like that in clowns is sometimes from "grappling" with one another. You may never see it happen (over in a second) but it could be the cause. Are the tiny white spots on the fish or the glass/water?

jay

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tailspot blenny and a cherub angel.

The tiny white spots are my shamefully dirty glass!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tailspot blenny and a cherub angel.

The tiny white spots are my shamefully dirty glass!
Neither of those fish would have fought that way. I see two courses of action: wait and see or move the fish to a treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic. If the lesion showed up suddenly and is increasing in size, that points more to treating as opposed to waiting.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesion showed up overnight. I will see how he looks in the morning. Any favorite broad spectrum gram negative abx?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesion showed up overnight. I will see how he looks in the morning. Any favorite broad spectrum gram negative abx?
Any antibiotic is really a guess, a lot of people like furan-2. Neoplex is another option. Just avoid those herbal tonics, they aren’t true antibiotics.
Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back