Clownfish with one eye bulged in QT

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two tiny clowns and a yellow goby from LFS. All 3 were in a fully cycled 10G QT. I did not dose any medication. All three were fine for a week. one clown had a tiny nick behind its eyes. Last night It was breathing really fast and had a bulged eye[didn't look cloudy at all] on the same side as the nick. It did take food but also had a long thread like poop hanging from it for hours. It was not swimming as fast as the other Clown but other than that it looked OK until 3am. But this morning, it was already dead. What could it be and do I have to treat the other two fish for anything now?
TIA

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought two tiny clowns and a yellow goby from LFS. All 3 were in a fully cycled 10G QT. I did not dose any medication. All three were fine for a week. one clown had a tiny nick behind its eyes. Last night It was breathing really fast and had a bulged eye[didn't look cloudy at all] on the same side as the nick. It did take food but also had a long thread like poop hanging from it for hours. It was not swimming as fast as the other Clown but other than that it looked OK until 3am. But this morning, it was already dead. What could it be and do I have to treat the other two fish for anything now?
TIA
Often an eye issue signifies either an injury as noted or infection such as bacterial but will be hard to determine with any pics when fish was alive

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often an eye issue signifies either an injury as noted or infection such as bacterial but will be hard to determine with any pics when fish was alive

Attachments

• 20221224_190717.jpg
    20221224_190717.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221223_213727.mp4
    19.2 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The clown may have had gill infection as I see nothing else that sticks out other than fish a little thin and breathing a mile a minute which is never good

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown may have had gill infection as I see nothing else that sticks out other than fish a little thin and breathing a mile a minute which is never good
Thank you. The other Clown is not breathing this fast and is doing the puppy swim. I do feed them twice a day. TDO chroma boost. Do I have to do anything for the other two remaining fish in the same tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you. The other Clown is not breathing this fast and is doing the puppy swim. I do feed them twice a day. TDO chroma boost. Do I have to do anything for the other two remaining fish in the same tank?
Assure good water quality management and they need more than pellets- Add foods such as Spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp , LRS fish frenzy and chopped krill

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure good water quality management and they need more than pellets- Add foods such as Spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp , LRS fish frenzy and chopped krill
Will do. Is it OK to feed all this in a 10G QT? I was going to wait till I move them to DT to start frozen food to prevent any ammonia spike.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will do. Is it OK to feed all this in a 10G QT? I was going to wait till I move them to DT to start frozen food to prevent any ammonia spike.
I spoon feed.
Feed what they will eat within 2 minutes or so. Easier to add food than to remove it

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good eye. I didn't even notice the empty looking belly.. Until after you mentioned it.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately malnutrition just makes life hard on anyone even you. So I would definitely get food into that fish however you can. Even if you have to change water to eliminate waste. The fish is starving.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately malnutrition just makes life hard on anyone even you. So I would definitely get food into that fish however you can. Even if you have to change water to eliminate waste. The fish is starving.
They actually are bigger than when I got them. Will get them some frozen food Monday. Thanks everyone. Does this reset the QT time? Looks like I have to get another Clown to pair with.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually are bigger than when I got them. Will get them some frozen food Monday. Thanks everyone. Does this reset the QT time? Looks like I have to get another Clown to pair with.
It is possible for you and other animals to grow even when you are malnutrition you could get taller. However that lack of nutrition is only going to make you sick from our nutrition because there are parasites eating the food that you intake and disrupting your organ functions.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Qt reset does not occur if fish remain in treatment tank at therapeutic levels

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease and malnutrition can cause your organs to fail. This can kill you

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when fish have internal parasites it's not just the malnutrition it's the damage those critters do inside the gut of the fish. Internal bacterial infections etc

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are symptoms which you cannot see until it affects the overall health of the animal

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually by that time it is too late. Hence, you saw stringy poop that wouldn't drop off. That means the biological function of that fish is no longer working.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back