Clownfish

JSK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, I’ve just joined reef2reef.
This is my first saltwater tank that I have recently cycled, I have 2 Ocellaris Clownfish and a Royal Gramma.

I was wondering if anyone could help me please. About 3 days after I put the clowns in, I noticed the female keeps twitching its body and head round. I thought the worst but it’s been nearly 3 weeks after this and it still does the same thing. I can’t see any spots on any of the fish and they all eat well so not sure if it’s ich, but I have seen the Gramma flashing off the sand over this time also.

Today I’ve noticed the clown trying hard to swim down and swimming directly into the power head, makes me think swim bladder but again I’m not sure at all. For the last ten days or so I think I have noticed her gills are slightly red but I don’t know if I’m imagining things as this may be flukes?

If anybody has any ideas or can help me in anyway that is so appreciated, thank you so much!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning and welcome to R2R.

a few questions that may help. 1 how old is the tank? 2.What are your specific water test parameters (not “they are fine” the numbers help). 3. You said they have been in the tank for 3 weeks. Are there any other “issues” you see? Your observations of your tank will become one of the best “testing” elements you have.

free advice; the most expensive part of this hobby is impatience.

I hope someone can help you out. Enjoy the hobby my friend.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The behavior you maention may be a fish that is irritated and swimming into the powerhead provides relief. A couple pics of the fish would be helpful under white lighting Not heavy blue.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure your talking about the usual clownfish twitch. Its basically how they communicate and show dominance to the other clown. As for your wrasse im not sure on them. My clown will lay sideways and twitch like its snapping its body at the other clown all the time

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef,def some pics can help,sounds like normal behavior,inflamed gills?? has me wondering ;)

OP
OP
J

JSK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning and welcome to R2R.

a few questions that may help. 1 how old is the tank? 2.What are your specific water test parameters (not “they are fine” the numbers help). 3. You said they have been in the tank for 3 weeks. Are there any other “issues” you see? Your observations of your tank will become one of the best “testing” elements you have.

free advice; the most expensive part of this hobby is impatience.

I hope someone can help you out. Enjoy the hobby my friend.
Hi there,

Thank you everyone for the replies. Seems strange as the clown has hardly been doing it the last couple of days. The tank is only about 7 weeks old. My water test parameters are:

Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - About 10ppm
PH - 8.2 Temperature - 78 Fahrenheit
Salinity - 1.024sg

I don’t really see any other issues so that has got to be good, if I can catch the clown doing it more clearly I’ll definitely load up a video as you guys have mentioned.
Thank you for the advice and glad to be on here!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back