Clownfish's left side face/gills scrathed

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed his side has some damage, my concern is if it's a parasite or some other issue.

1. While I was away my salinity spiked up unfort. from 34.6 to 35.6
2. My emerald crab died
3. Cheeto (my clown) seems to occasionally rub up against a rock or something as if to scratch.
4. Salinity is currently 34.9 (I am slowly getting it back. I came home Sat and reducing that number little by little)
5. There are no other fish
6. It's a young tank 8 weeks or so
7. Snails and Hermit Crabs only
8. Corals: one zoa (5 heads) and one mushroom (3 heads)
9. Cheeto eats well and swims around

Any info on this would be helpful!
Thank you in advance,
Gaspare

08 17 a.jpeg
08 17 b.jpeg
08 17 c.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed his side has some damage, my concern is if it's a parasite or some other issue.

1. While I was away my salinity spiked up unfort. from 34.6 to 35.6
2. My emerald crab died
3. Cheeto (my clown) seems to occasionally rub up against a rock or something as if to scratch.
4. Salinity is currently 34.9 (I am slowly getting it back. I came home Sat and reducing that number little by little)
5. There are no other fish
6. It's a young tank 8 weeks or so
7. Snails and Hermit Crabs only
8. Corals: one zoa (5 heads) and one mushroom (3 heads)
9. Cheeto eats well and swims around

Any info on this would be helpful!
Thank you in advance,
Gaspare

08 17 a.jpeg
08 17 b.jpeg
08 17 c.jpeg
I’m not sure that the emerald crab dying and the clownfish issue are related . Likewise, I don’t see the salinity being the root cause for this.
Can you tell, it looks like the white thing hanging off of the fish’s gill cover is a bit of skin tissue. If so, this is probably an injury. Does the fish scratch just on that side or does it alternate?
Jay

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that the emerald crab dying and the clownfish issue are related . Likewise, I don’t see the salinity being the root cause for this.
Can you tell, it looks like the white thing hanging off of the fish’s gill cover is a bit of skin tissue. If so, this is probably an injury. Does the fish scratch just on that side or does it alternate?
Jay
Jay thank you for the response. This is the 2nd time you have helped with Cheeto so thank you very much.

I have only noticed him scratching on that left side. Not often, but enough for me to notice and comment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay thank you for the response. This is the 2nd time you have helped with Cheeto so thank you very much.

I have only noticed him scratching on that left side. Not often, but enough for me to notice and comment.
Hmmm, I’m worried there could be a parasite that is causing Cheeto to scratch and damage it’s gill cover there. Trouble is, some parasites can’t be treated for in a tank with invertebrates. Parasitic worms can be dealt with though using a product called Prazipro. I’m not 100% convinced worms are the issue, but it would be one treatment you could try….
Jay

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I’m worried there could be a parasite that is causing Cheeto to scratch and damage it’s gill cover there. Trouble is, some parasites can’t be treated for in a tank with invertebrates. Parasitic worms can be dealt with though using a product called Prazipro. I’m not 100% convinced worms are the issue, but it would be one treatment you could try….
Jay
Wonderful, I'm off to a rockstar start. 2 years of research and managed to mess it up on my first purchase.

Do you have a link to a process you would recommend? Thank you again in advance!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back