Clownmergency - velvet? Brook?

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano tank (evo 13 gal) has been running for about 3 months now, 2 orange storms clowns have been doing great. I had an outbreak of dino's, that I thought was algae (never dealt with dinos), so purchased a baby (literally like an inch) yellow tang to combat what I thought was algae, as my tangs in my larger tank destroy any algae issues (was planning on rehoming the tang to my neighbor with a large tank after it did its job). A day or two with the tang in the tank I realized it was covered in white spots that I thought was ich. Brought the tang back to the LFS and a few days later noticed spots on my storm clowns. Have been treating with Rally and Kick Ich for 3 days now in the nano (I know, I know, copper, copper, copper). The reason I havent jumped on copper is because of coral in the tank and don't want to stress them even more moving them to an emergency QT.
The Rally has absolutely destroyed my dino problem, which is great. The larger of my two clowns is the one covered in dust, and the smaller one I can't really see anything on, im guessing immunity. Small one is eating fine, larger one is eating a little bit, but not a lot. They seem to be swimming fine just a little irritation noticeable in the larger one, neither swimming into the flow, neither of them flashing (strange).
This morning I could literally see dinos stringing from the larger clown, so I blasted the flow and they came off of him, however he is still covered in "dust". I doubled the dose of rally today with my fingers crossed.

Current gameplan is to keep dosing rally heavily and stick to the kick ich schedule, since they seem healthy other than the visible spots. Hoping the larger one clears up and when it's noticably healthier, I'll transfer to a QT and treat with copper. These clowns were/are fat and healthy, and want to make sure I keep stress levels as low as possible. They are still nosing each other, and doing the submissive clown twitch, leading me to believe they are beating it.

Thoughts? Input? Am I dumb for banking on Rally? I know clowns are hardy and have read through humblefish's article on velvet. I have coppersafe on hand but just don't want to make the situation worse.

20191009_120204.jpg 20191009_120213.jpg 20191009_120219.jpg 20191009_120313.jpg 20191009_120344.jpg 20191009_120400.jpg 20191009_120431.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you have the QT ready so that in the scenario you need to transfer you can make it happen quickly. Honestly rally and kick ich don't do much against ich or velvet.

Do you have a solid copper test kit?

Last edited:

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not committed to QT-ing all new arrivals in the future, until the end of time, I don't see the point of selectively treating these clowns with copper and then putting them right back in. They will get it again someday when you introduce a new unquarantined fish. Just treat them well and see how they do.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply man was thinking it was a ghost town out here. I realized this post was probably in the wrong section so wrote a new and more up to date one here - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/first-time-coppersafe-treatment-please-help.654337/

Most recent update is they are in the QT and today is day 3 with copper treatment slowly raising it. Maybe you could help me with this question - I ordered the whole seachem cupramine, cuprasorb, and seachem copper test kit that came in finally today. I have been treating with this expired coppersafe, and it is working. I wonder if I should keep going with the expired coppersafe or switch over to cupramine. I am concerned the switch would not wise for reasons unknown, unless you or anyone has any other input. These clowns have a nano tank of their own, no plans for other fish so they should be fine after this quarantine.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, have an api copper test kit that I hope ive got the hang of. Will over 2ppm kill fish? Not the easiest to read

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back