Clowns abandoned nem- now Angel attacking

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
My ocellarious clowns abandoned the purple long tentacle nem they’ve been staying in. I tried to wait it out for a week but they relocated to my torch coral and aren’t budging. Now my emperor angel is going after nem and doesn’t seem to care if it’s getting stung etc. What should I do? I can move the Nem to the fuge but there’s no sand bed in there I don’t think it will be happy and I don’t know how the lighting is for a nem. I can move it in there temporarily and maybe try to get another clown to host with it and protect it? I have a 220 gallon and skunk and ocellaris clowns. If I get a matron or something more aggressive to pair with the long tentacle and then put it on the other end of the tank- do you think that is a viable
Solution? Right now I just have the nem covered with a net t protect it. The angel has stings all over it but doesn’t seem to care and keeps going for it.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you temporarily cover the torch to prevent clowns from getting at it? Maybe they would shift back to nem.. I have made boxes out of egg crate in the past to protect corals on my sand bed, probably wouldn't work well for things on rock.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did for a bit. Maybe they didnt like it. I took the torch out to see if they would go back to it for a week but they didnt, just moved to the Duncans. When I brought the torch back they went right back to it so I guess thats it for the LTA. I have ocellaris, pink skunks and orange skunks in the tank that dont bother each other but the pink skunks wouldnt go in the nem either before the ocellaris finally moved in. Argh.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the angel has developed a taste for the anemone, the likelihood of it stopping is very low. You can't rely on clownfish to defend the anemone, so you'll either need to move out the anemone or the angel.

If I were to vote, I'd opt to have the angel removed because they're not considered reef-safe. One day it may pick on your duncans, then another coral, then another.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the angel has developed a taste for the anemone, the likelihood of it stopping is very low. You can't rely on clownfish to defend the anemone, so you'll either need to move out the anemone or the angel.
Clownfish may not be sufficient to protect an anemone from a large angel with a taste for anemones but many other anemonefish might be (though not maroons as LTA isn't on their acceptable host list). If any of my regals would start some funny business with the anemones (they are unlikely to do so) my bicinctus pair would be eating expensive sushi for dinner. The regal female got a little cocky during feeding and got into their "air-space" and was promptly greeted with an angry snap from the bicinctus male. And from what I have seen of them so far, bicinctus are rather on the mellow side of the whole bunch.
In the end, it will always be the angel or the anemone - one of them will lose so you may as well part ways with one of them now.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I moved the nem to fuge for now. I love clowns so I am going to maybe get a pair of clarkis or bics and see if they take a shine to it in the fuge and then i can relocate them all to the display. I think if there was anything to dissuade the angel it would back off, but if it doesnt then I will just rehome one or the other. There are a couple btas and a tube anemeone in the tank that the angel doesnt bother with (and none of the clowns are interested in either) so it may just be this one nem that has sparked its interest.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an ocellarius host an LTA.
I had a Philippines maroon who accepted a haddoni as host and have an Indonesian "percula" right now doing the same. But that's rather abnormal and doesn't mean that all other maroons and percula would do the same.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back