Clowns & baby hippo

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Added a baby hippo last night after trading out my big yellow tang from this tank

The clowns are much bigger than her and nipped her a bunch before they calmed down 10-20m later.

She kept trying to sleep with them and eventually they all left each other alone & are happy now and slept together

She’s eating whatever I feed this morning & swims about

My concern is will these heal or will she get an infection most likely ? Grazing marks

DFFC1BA0-F9D9-4B3A-9DCF-C2674C503E1A.png BEE05108-3D56-42CF-9F10-1C58CDF14DBC.png

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the parameters of your tank. If your tank is relatively stable, you should be fine. Also, the marks don't look too bad, so I think you should be okay. Baby fish will heal pretty fast if they are fed a good diet. So I would make sure the little Hippo is very well fed; they are notorious for how demanding they are in regards to food as little babies. But if you feed and keep an eye on it, I think it will be fine.

I actually just picked up a couple of hippos myself over the past weekend, also at a small size :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it depends on the parameters of your tank. If your tank is relatively stable, you should be fine. Also, the marks don't look too bad, so I think you should be okay. Baby fish will heal pretty fast if they are fed a good diet. So I would make sure the little Hippo is very well fed; they are notorious for how demanding they are in regards to food as little babies. But if you feed and keep an eye on it, I think it will be fine.

I actually just picked up a couple of hippos myself over the past weekend, also at a small size :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Thanks for the comment :)

She’s already eating frozen & lots of nori ! And man is she cute ! Enjoy those baby hippos !

She follows the clowns all day long and does what they do, if they go to seaweed clip so does she, if they hide, she hides . It’s quite funny

Tanks been going for 6+ months now

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment :)

She’s already eating frozen & lots of nori ! And man is she cute ! Enjoy those baby hippos !

She follows the clowns all day long and does what they do, if they go to seaweed clip so does she, if they hide, she hides . It’s quite funny

Tanks been going for 6+ months now
Glad to hear it I hope they do well! hippos are kind of like puppies!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back