Clowns being clowns or swim bladder?

Anthrilliel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns have been swimming like this for the past week. Is this just a clown thing or should I be worried? Filter was on, powerhead was off at that time. Still eating normally.

Water parameters have been steady.

Temp.78.5F
Salinity 1.025
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
Ammonia 0
PH 7.9
Phos 0.2
Alk 12.8

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns have been swimming like this for the past week. Is this just a clown thing or should I be worried? Filter was on, powerhead was off at that time. Still eating normally.

Water parameters have been steady.

Temp.78.5F
Salinity 1.025
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
Ammonia 0
PH 7.9
Phos 0.2
Alk 12.8

Ya something is definitely up I’ve never seen a clown do that ever. If it is swim blather it’s a bacterial infection that can be treated I use herbatana that’s the best I can think of don’t feed them for a day or two that also helps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Struggling to maintain a normal swimming position is relevant to swim bladder infection or similar iternal issue/symptom.
If severe buoyancy problems exist, the fish may not be able to feed normally or even reach the surface of the water. This disorder is sometimes caused by compression of the swim bladder, which may involve a distended stomach from rapidly eating, overeating, constipation, or gulping air, which is thought to occur with floating foods. Eating freeze-dried or dry flake food that expands when it becomes wet can also lead to an enlarged stomach or intestinal tract.
Other causes are :
  • Trauma/Injury
  • Bacterial infection
  • Parasitic infection
  • Stress/rapidly changing water parameters
  • Poor water quality
Water change(s) may help and antibiotic should also help. Kanamyacin o neomyacyn should help great and best done in a quarantine tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. folks, let's get back to the problem with the OP's fish. Nitrates are not the issue.

As @vetteguy53081 said, this is positive buoyancy. It could be from a bacterial infection of the air bladder, or it could be gas in the digestive system. Both issues are difficult to treat.

What foods have you been feeding it?
I wouldn't feed it for now, it can easily go 48 hours without eating. That may allow any blockage/gas to clear.
If it is an internal bacterial infection of the air bladder, that would require antibiotics in a treatment tank, do you have that option?

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back