Clowns died, and i am stuck and not what to do about my tank

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 weeks ago, i notice my Blue-Green chromis has white poo, and and i treat all the fish with metroplex and focus for the week. The white long stringy was gone and all my fish look happy as clam on Monday. Come Tuesday, I had a Black clown died out the blue, and my Orange clown and Chromis were acting weird with their the mouths moving fast. So i kept and eye and they were eating than Yesderday i know my orange clown had some spots last night,and he was acting weird. So i went to the LFS, to pick up supplies to qt them. I got home and the clown was on the sand bed flipping around and died on me. Now i do not know what to do for my the blue chromis and the Royal Gamma, I have. The chrmois looks like it has lock jaw (not sure if thats the right name) and the royal gamma looks happy. They were both still eating, unlike my clown. Can some please point me on what i should do. My tanks checks fine, 25 for nitrate, and my phosphours was super high at .5, but i am having a another outbreak of diatoms and read that can cause high readings. My orginal skimmer died and replacing with a iceap nano today.

I have the following meds, Rally Pro, Metroplex, focus, sulfaplex, cupramine picked up a 10 gallon tank along with a hob filter,
my tank is 4 months old, and its really getting me down. As my rock flower ate a blemy Tuesday night also

The tank looks like it was white stuff floating around,

Video 1 = https://youtube.com/shorts/Z_ZxDs44pGc

Video 2 = https://youtube.com/shorts/cdAAT8X7BHw

VIdeo 3= https://youtube.com/shorts/3C-yuSWUEuc

Video 4 =

20220510_115332.jpg 20220512_165517.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So 2 weeks ago, i notice my Blue-Green chromis has white poo, and and i treat all the fish with metroplex and focus for the week. The white long stringy was gone and all my fish look happy as clam on Monday. Come Tuesday, I had a Black clown died out the blue, and my Orange clown and Chromis were acting weird with their the mouths moving fast. So i kept and eye and they were eating than Yesderday i know my orange clown had some spots last night,and he was acting weird. So i went to the LFS, to pick up supplies to qt them. I got home and the clown was on the sand bed flipping around and died on me. Now i do not know what to do for my the blue chromis and the Royal Gamma, I have. The chrmois looks like it has lock jaw (not sure if thats the right name) and the royal gamma looks happy. They were both still eating, unlike my clown. Can some please point me on what i should do. My tanks checks fine, 25 for nitrate, and my phosphours was super high at .5, but i am having a another outbreak of diatoms and read that can cause high readings. My orginal skimmer died and replacing with a iceap nano today.

I have the following meds, Rally Pro, Metroplex, focus, sulfaplex, cupramine picked up a 10 gallon tank along with a hob filter,
my tank is 4 months old, and its really getting me down. As my rock flower ate a blemy Tuesday night also

Video 4 =

Chromis labored breathing and hard to tell on black clown once diseased but the percula shows sign of brooklynella.
Treatment for brook will address the chromis also. Symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus. also slime/mucus on the body
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
What test kits are you using and what is your Ammonia-Ph-Nitrate levels?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video 4 =

Unfortunately, each of the three videos seems to show a different problem!

The green chromis has some gill disease or water quality issue - that is causing the rapid breathing.

The black clown - are those feces off to the left? If so that is a MASSIVE internal infection, I've never seen anything quite that bad.

The circled areas on the orange clown could well be the start of Brooklynella.

I see that @vetteguy53081 just responded about the Brooklynella.

Jay

OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis labored breathing and hard to tell on black clown once diseased but the percula shows sign of brooklynella.
Treatment for brook will address the chromis also. Symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus. also slime/mucus on the body
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
What test kits are you using and what is your Ammonia-Ph-Nitrate levels?
I am using salifert for test, but hope to switch over the to hannah digitals, as it hard for me to tell the color different.

The picture with the black clown, that is sand from when i had to dig him up form the sand bed, some got caught in the net. when i dumped him.

I do have the Rally pro, and fresh saltwater i picked up from the lfs, (getting my own unti to make water next week) Should i do a 90 minute bath in bucket with air stones, than put in the qt tank? Once in the QT tank should i add anything else.

I am a complete newbie at this, so i what just like to get these last to make it, as i got a new thank set up this week and will be adding clowns to it when i pick them up from Local Reef Orlando that Ann order from me.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am using salifert for test, but hope to switch over the to hannah digitals, as it hard for me to tell the color different.

The picture with the black clown, that is sand from when i had to dig him up form the sand bed, some got caught in the net. when i dumped him.

I do have the Rally pro, and fresh saltwater i picked up from the lfs, (getting my own unti to make water next week) Should i do a 90 minute bath in bucket with air stones, than put in the qt tank? Once in the QT tank should i add anything else.

I am a complete newbie at this, so i what just like to get these last to make it, as i got a new thank set up this week and will be adding clowns to it when i pick them up from Local Reef Orlando that Ann order from me.
Great to hear and 60-90 bath will help

OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, @vetteguy53081 and @Jay Hemdal Set up my qt tank, and than Run the rally pro in there for 3 days, adding an ouce each day (per the directions). Than i just keep eye on them in the qt tank? Do i need change the water after 3 days. to remove the rally pro, Do i need to add any other meds after that? Sorry for the questions, but it seems every where i look there is different way to do it and i dont want to lose my royal gamma

Or do a 90 minute bath in 5 gallon for each and put in clean fresh water qt tank with hang on filter

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ok, @vetteguy53081 and @Jay Hemdal Set up my qt tank, and than Run the rally pro in there for 3 days, adding an ouce each day (per the directions). Than i just keep eye on them in the qt tank? Do i need change the water after 3 days. to remove the rally pro, Do i need to add any other meds after that? Sorry for the questions, but it seems every where i look there is different way to do it and i dont want to lose my royal gamma

Or do a 90 minute bath in 5 gallon for each and put in clean fresh water qt tank with hang on filter
Give each fish bath and as for water changes, allow test kit to help you determine that need. Treat for at least 5-7 days. The longer you treat, the likelihood you will get rid of issue

OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give each fish bath and as for water changes, allow test kit to help you determine that need. Treat for at least 5-7 days. The longer you treat, the likelihood you will get rid of issue
Thanks, I am not very smart, so your kind of confusing me, or I am not asking the right questions. Do i give the bath (5 gallon bucket with airstone) than put in the fish in qt tank with with water only (keeping eye on ammonia levels ect, ect), than 2nd day give it another bath for 90 mins, and continue for the next 5 to 7 days.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, I am not very smart, so your kind of confusing me, or I am not asking the right questions. Do i give the bath (5 gallon bucket with airstone) than put in the fish in qt tank with with water only (keeping eye on ammonia levels ect, ect), than 2nd day give it another bath for 90 mins, and continue for the next 5 to 7 days.
Yes as you described. Bath in container then treatment in QT
Give it Initial bath then treat remainder of time in QT. No need to repeat baths

OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as you described. Bath in container then treatment in QT
Give it Initial bath then treat remainder of time in QT. No need to repeat baths
ok, sorry, i got confused the hell out it, thank you so much for your help, I am going to get it all set up in the morning as i need to find a place to put the qt tank for the next few weeks.

OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i add small piece of live rock in the qt tank also to help out, I got small piece from my nano i can put in there

OP
OP
Mr.OK

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I misread , were these fish quarantined
No, i did not have a qt tank at the time, and i had have them for about 6 weeks now.
But i am giving the last 2 a batch now and got a qt tank set up for rally pro i am using, was just curious if i should add small piece of rock to it to help with the tank since it emergency set up

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back