Clowns in Quarantine (What to Do)

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I have a mated pair of clownfish in quarantine. They have been there one week. They are eating well, breathing and swimming normally, and no scratching.All looks good so far.

Initially, I was going to do a full medicated treatment with copper (ich) and metronidazole (brook). But I am also aware that some people only treat with medication if they see illness. It’s the observation peeps vs. medicated peeps. Since they looked so healthy in the store, I did not want to stress them by treating them with medication.

Now I’m not sure what to do and would like your advice.

Should continue with observation for the 30 days?

Should I proceed with a copper only treatment for 14 to 30 days? (ich only)

Should I initiate copper and metronidazole treatment? (ich and brook)

I could also treat with copper, metronidazole and praziquantel. (ich, brook, parasites)

The medications I have include Cupermine and pure metronidazole. I was going to pick up API General Cure which contains metronidazole and praziquantel to add to the tank and food. I cannot get a binder, so I would need to use gelatin to add to food. I am following Humble Fish suggested treatment.

At this point I’m just confused by all the options.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they captive-bred clowns? Does your LFS quarantine with medication, or run medicated tanks? Both of these factors greatly reduce the risk of having disease. If they're wild-caught, I would treat with copper. Otherwise, just observe them for 30 days.

OP
OP
psychicmind

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the treatment I originally was going to follow:

(Ich, Velvet, Brooks & Uronema Treatment)
Day 0 - Copper Power 1.0
Day 1 - Copper Power 1.33
Day 2 - Copper Power 1.66
Day 3 - Copper Power 2.0
Day 4 - Metro - Copper Power 2.3
Day 5 - Copper Power 2.5
Day 6 - API GC (Or Pure Metro and prazi)
Day 8 - Metro
Day 10 - Metro
Day 12 - API GC (Or Pure Metro and prazi)
Day 16 – Metro
Day 17- Move to QT Tank 2 for observation and (Internal Parasites/Worms Treatment) 14 days of feeding medicated food.

Of course Cupermine would be 5.0 ppm

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a lot of medication in a short amount of time, I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. Here's a link to the current quarantine protocol by Jay Hemdal:

OP
OP
psychicmind

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they captive-bred clowns? Does your LFS quarantine with medication, or run medicated tanks? Both of these factors greatly reduce the risk of having disease. If they're wild-caught, I would treat with copper. Otherwise, just observe them for 30 days.
I’m not sure if they are captive bred. They are designer so I would guess yes. They were in the coral tanks. His tanks and coral all looked surprisingly healthy. I will text the seller now and ask.

I live in Bali Indonesia and I don’t totally trust. Last week I was lucky enough to visit a fish and coral exporter. It was a shocking experience because everything there is wild caught. All I could think about was a tank with 100 fish of the same species knowing maybe 5 would service. Then noticing that there were 250 of those tanks all on the same system. Those fish I would definitely treat with medication.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if they are captive bred. They are designer so I would guess yes. They were in the coral tanks. His tanks and coral all looked surprisingly healthy. I will text the seller now and ask.

I live in Bali Indonesia and I don’t totally trust. Last week I was lucky enough to visit a fish and coral exporter. It was a shocking experience because everything there is wild caught. All I could think about was a tank with 100 fish of the same species knowing maybe 5 would service. Then noticing that there were 250 of those tanks all on the same system. Those fish I would definitely treat with medication.
Yes, all designer clownfish are captive-bred. A lot of them come from just a few breeders with very strict disease protocols. However, they might be at an exporter or a fish store that keeps their fish the same way you described, so if you don't know where your store sources the fish from or how they keep their tanks, medication is always a good bet.

OP
OP
psychicmind

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not that designer ha ha. They are unusually so I thought maybe they were. They are wild caught. The seller just notified me.

OP
OP
psychicmind

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
88322627-8216-480A-93BA-C3C2D6A94100.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you have no conditions and want to treat as a preventative, I recommend ruby rally pro which covers an array of issues and will address common clown issues mainly brook

OP
OP
psychicmind

psychicmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the copper treatment with 1/4 dose.

Ruby Rally Pro is not available in Indonesia.

Most name brands are either hard to get or cost double due to import tax. It’s actually easier to get metronidazole and praziquantel in pure form than to buy something like API General Cure. Most Hanna test kits are over $100USD. But other things are much cheaper. A $90 fish or coral can cost $9 here.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the copper treatment with 1/4 dose.

Ruby Rally Pro is not available in Indonesia.

Most name brands are either hard to get or cost double due to import tax. It’s actually easier to get metronidazole and praziquantel in pure form than to buy something like API General Cure. Most Hanna test kits are over $100USD. But other things are much cheaper. A $90 fish or coral can cost $9 here.
generic for ruby reef rally is formalin, its dangerous to dilute it yourself so keep that in mind. Lots of hanna kits are like that here too

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If wild then I would at least treat for brook.

They are beautiful!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back