0   0   0
Or this trip?

30741548_10155170212751930_2851710853817803878_n.jpg

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say I remember him or the trip, but i was probably transferred on by then as well.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, actinic lights in the window, the dead give away lol. If you need help or equipment let me know. I'm not sure what all supplies I have on hand but I can donate what I have.

The only thing I have left is some testing stuff and my RO, which is not even a DI anymore. Things have changed. Back then there were halides, from what I gather everything is LED now, which is great.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember running the xm10k or iwaski 6500 halides, the good Ole days. Yeah lighting has come a long way and leds have the pros and cons. I always choose to run a hybrid setup of leds and t5. But I'll still say halides grow the best corals. Just limited on selection

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember running the xm10k or iwaski 6500 halides, the good Ole days. Yeah lighting has come a long way and leds have the pros and cons. I always choose to run a hybrid setup of leds and t5. But I'll still say halides grow the best corals. Just limited on selection

Well I would think with this southern heat LED's would be a great thing. I did get a nice hybrid generator last year so that is one piece of the puzzle. A hurricane killed so many tanks back when MBRK was active, that did not help the club.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that did not take long, I am picking up a Red Sea 69 gallon later today from someone in Saraland.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that didn't. Good find. Was it a turn key system you bought

Mikey, what is left in Mobile, AL for getting seeded rock? This rock and tank just look dead of life. I saw no sponges on the rock, no copepods running around, no parchment worms. I need some serious seed rock to get it going. I am going to try to see if Progressive Marine is still open but not sure if they still are.

Last edited:

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was about to ask you the same thing lol. But I'm looking for dead rock, as whatever rock I get dead or alive I cook with acid, then bleach, then cycle for 2 months before it goes into the tank.

But for live rock I do believe Chris at ocean corals has some good rock cycled in one of his remote sumps. B&B may have some as well. Petco in daphne had some but was pricey.

If you know somewhere local I can get some dry rock I'm all ears lol.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mikey, what is left in Mobile, AL for getting seeded rock? This rock and tank just look dead of life. I saw no sponges on the rock, no copepods running around, no parchment worms. I need some serious seed rock to get it going. I am going to try to see if Progressive Marine is still open but not sure if they still are.
Another thing you can do is a ball of chaeto which will certainly add pods and worms. And maybe a bottle of helix coraline algae starter.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was about to ask you the same thing lol. But I'm looking for dead rock, as whatever rock I get dead or alive I cook with acid, then bleach, then cycle for 2 months before it goes into the tank.

But for live rock I do believe Chris at ocean corals has some good rock cycled in one of his remote sumps. B&B may have some as well. Petco in daphne had some but was pricey.

If you know somewhere local I can get some dry rock I'm all ears lol.

Why not just order a crate of that life rock? That is what is in this tank and it is pretty dang porous. This guy at Ocean Corals is he normally actually at his place at 2pm like it says?

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fan of the "mined" rock, I understand the ecological benefit to mining the rock and agree with it. But i guess I'm still old school, I miss fiji, tonga, pukani rock.

Chris runs a good store, very knowledgeable person with good stock. Sometimes he's there early. PM me.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fan of the "mined" rock, I understand the ecological benefit to mining the rock and agree with it. But i guess I'm still old school, I miss fiji, tonga, pukani rock.

Chris runs a good store, very knowledgeable person with good stock. Sometimes he's there early. PM me.
We just left there, picked up some rock rubble and one big piece. Come to find out that shop is like 8 minutes from my house.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm talking with Chris now about rock lol. I'm going tomorrow to get some rock.

He's got some knowledge and honesty which I appreciate.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It blows my mind how these shop owners can just grow anything. He has corals growing in every inch of some of those tanks.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, sometimes I think maybe we make it to complicated of an environment for our corals. Add to much to our systems that make corals over compete

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back