Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where: Kesslerkid's house in Kaukauna
When: 6:30 Wed. December 30
Why: Organize details for formal club

I will be bringing copies of By-laws for everyone and a computer to make changes to the document I started. This meeting should last not too much more than two hours. We will need to stay on topic and be prepared to get the work done so we can move on. If you are not going to be in attendance and have a concern to discuss, this is the place to post it. Nothing is going to be so concrete it cannot be changed later.

Agenda: (feel free to add topics you feel are important)

By-laws/constitution detail changes
Annual dues
Website info for discussion
Club name
Officer duties and term length

I am working on details for the tax ID and structure. I can say almost for certain that we'll need an ID number, but to run a simple club with no income or paid members, the tax situation is something minor to deal with. We'll have to report on a form, but most likely nothing more. I'm working with two WI clubs that are set up this way.

Please post if you'd like to join this meeting as we've had some that can't make it. Also post if you are for sure attending so I know how many copies to make.

Thank you.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John I'm not sure if these couple of things will fall under the agenda you have. First I think you should discuss the oppurtunity that Rev had presented to you. Would possibly save money for other purchases due to not possibly needing a elaborate Website. IE the forum and all as we can use R2R With a Private Forum.

Secondly, the bylaws is this going to include being a member to post something for sale? And for having stipulations in-line such as posting a price that your asking for an item?

Thirdly since I'm not going to be there I would like to throw my .02 in about membership dues. I know John and I have talked about this but I think we need to be realistic when setting up club dues. I was thinking around 35 for an single person annually and something on the lines of 50 for a family membership. When speaking Family being a formal club and having possible club activities that would be paid for by the club one would need to be a member. Therefore the "whole" family could come with and not just one person. Make sense? It may seem like a lot of money but we are talking for a yearly membership. Also when you think of the initial cost of setting something formal up your not going to have much money leftover from the first year if any at all.

Wish I could make it as I have other things that I am sure I am missing but if I think of them I will either edit or add as we go!

Eric

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. But no one else has been here. We'll certainly address your post.

I just don't want to get to Kris' house and it's just me and him. Not that I can't have a beer and do this with Kris, but then it's just my input and his at the meeting :)

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand this right, we've got Custom, NewMelee, MyDream, Kessler, and now Shananagins. Still a couple people that didn't post on the meeting time. Either way it's enough to get the grunt work out of the way...

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little short notice now. I just want to keep this moving. We will never find a date that works for everyone. So many jumped on board with that date and time that had to back out. We could keep rescheduling or just get it over with. We're not going to re-invent the wheel here, just tweak what already works for other clubs. We only need a couple people.

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thirdly since I'm not going to be there I would like to throw my .02 in about membership dues. I know John and I have talked about this but I think we need to be realistic when setting up club dues. I was thinking around 35 for an single person annually and something on the lines of 50 for a family membership. When speaking Family being a formal club and having possible club activities that would be paid for by the club one would need to be a member. Therefore the "whole" family could come with and not just one person. Make sense? It may seem like a lot of money but we are talking for a yearly membership. Also when you think of the initial cost of setting something formal up your not going to have much money leftover from the first year if any at all.

Eric

i know that WRS's fee is only $15 a person....granted they have more people but we are just starting out and i dont know if you really wanna scare people away.....granted $15 dont get much but we cant expect steak all the time...ill take a burger when i can get it :)

my .02

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do you expect one person to front the whole cost of the website?/?? They membership is a lot more than our 15-20 if we get that. What we all spend on our tanks is a far more than a 35 dollar a year membership. That breaks down to only 2.92 a month. For a family membership it would only be 4.17 a month! Very minimal if you ask me. I think the membership dues would be the least to worry about. 15 dollars a yr is nothing and you are comparing apples to oranges in my opinion! After the first year and things are setup one could look back and re-evaluate what the dues are.

Eric

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember rev was able to set aside some space for us....big savings in my books....the web space is not that much cash..if im not mistaken its the V bulletin that cost good cash....i know there are others out there for forum soft ware..just using one as a reference

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dave please tell me you'll be at the meeting...

once again, the benefits will outweigh whatever we decide for dues. it should be a non-issue...

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks ryan, was just about to pm you. hopefully a couple others can make it too.

i don't think dues the cost of a frag are going to prevent anyone from joining. should be interesting discussion. my mouth will be there too...!

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly wish I could attend but sadly cannot.

I personally am not particularly interested in creating our own "side" forum on R2R or any other already established forum. If financing web site hosting is a difficulty at the moment then maybe we could look into some sponsorship from the LFS's or various companies. I seemed to get the hint that part of this project was an attempt to create a sort of common ground between the FVRC people that are on RC and the people that are more often on R2R (or are banned from RC). Our own site gives us much more of an individual identity also (finding our club on a google search is a good example). I know for a fact that having our club hosted on one or the other will definately turn some away (at least a half a dozen people, but I won't mention names). I think our own website will be preferred as a neutral place for the creation of the new club. Kind of a fresh start.

Sure am glad your on top of the financial IRS reporting topic John. I sure don't want anyone to get in legal trouble over this.

Secondly, the bylaws is this going to include being a member to post something for sale? And for having stipulations in-line such as posting a price that your asking for an item?

Buying selling and trading is a very detailed and touchy topic IMO. There are several decisions to be made on this topic and I personally don't think this is a topic to try to crank out at a 2hr meeting with only a few people. Taking it in small chunks with all members input is a much better approach IMO.

There is a lot to talk about on this topic. Here are a few quick examples:
1) what is proper trading, buying, and selling etiquette.
2) What if someone doesn't follow the established guidelines?? Who will moderate (who will have the iron fist that everyone despises so much??)
3) Who is allowed to buy sell and trade
4) What if someone only wants to be a part of the club for financial sales?? Should there be a limit or taxation for these sales??
5) How can the club and it's members benefit from the sales that occur within our club??

All just thoughts to ponder.

It's very evident that there are some people who use clubs and forums for knowledge sharing and learning as well as some people who only use these mediums as a method of advertisement and sales. This is a gray area with some people polarized at one end or the other and many in the middle. I really think there should be some important thought put into how this part of the club is managed. Initial discussion of this new club brought about thoughts of local reefers being able to share info, help others, attract others by making our club individualized and accessible, etc... I'd hate to see this turn out to be a club which is used only for selling and trading.

I think it may be hard for you guys (and girls) to come up with a set yearly amount for member dues. It may be more beneficial to tally up all the cost of what we want to accomplish and show what the dues will be if we choose to pursue those various endeavors. It will also give everyone a perspective of what their $15 or $40 will be going towards. The relationship between what the dues cost and what it goes to will help people determine what amount is best. $15 or $40 won't break anyone of us but if we choose $40 and show how much the club will be able to do with that money (showing the direct benefit to it's members) there may be less turned away by the cost. Simply start a poll with what we want to accomplish and what the dues will be if we go that route. Let everyone interested in joining take a vote and let majority rule. Just a thought. Please remember the direct benefits of this club are based solely on what we put into it (whether that be money, time and energy, information sharing, etc...).

Wish eveyone the best of luck and can't wait to hear what you come up with. I'll be watching the threads in anticipation!

Jeremy

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back