CMO's SPS Dominant 165G Mixed Reef Build (Triton)

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The first year was definitely a leaning curve for me as well but year 2 things really took off so hopefully you will see the same. I was ultra concerned with the simultaneous dosing thing in the beginning as well but after trying all sorts of different dosing configurations I've arrived on the following for best combination of ease of management / precipitation concerns from simultaneous dosing. I have 2 dosing locations separated from one another, one location has Cal and Mag (Core 7 1/2) while the other location has my alk lines (Core 7 3a/b).

Since Cal and Mag don't change quickly I just have one staggered interval for each as follows to prevent interaction from simultaneous dosing from the same location.

1575490886622.png

1575490907897.png

For Alk, however, I dose continually throughout the day as shown below. The alk dosing lines are separated from the cal / mag lines to prevent interaction. I've done plenty of testing and you do not need a 5 min gap between dosing solutions if there is enough water flow / space between the lines (and your dose is sufficiently small per interval). You can see with my display setup that the lines are actually quite close but there is so little dosed at a time with this configuration it is immediately mixed and precipitation is not an issue (I've tested consumption rates with various spacing, staggering etc). If you are dosing a lot at once that would likely change things and be more of a concern (but the above schedule result in .7ml per dose which dilutes very quickly). I have one of my alk heads setup to be auto controlled by the Trident with night / day differential dosing which works well.

1575490987792.png

1575491015451.png

Cal / mag on left and alk on right. There's a lot of water flowing through a very small space here that instantly mixes the very small doses with the above schedules.

IMG_20191204_121847.jpg

This would be a preferred setup, however, with even more space between the solutions. Cal / mag on left and alk doses into the return.

IMG_20191204_121940.jpg
Thanks for the detailed reply, Much Appreciated! I hadn't considered seperating the lines but dosing parts 1&2 into the refugium as reccomended makes perfect sense. Wish I had asked before redoing my dosing lines last weekend :)

If I see half the explosive growth you did in year two I will be a very happy man! Thanks again!

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed reply, Much Appreciated! I hadn't considered seperating the lines but dosing parts 1&2 into the refugium as reccomended makes perfect sense. Wish I had asked before redoing my dosing lines last weekend :)

If I see half the explosive growth you did in year two I will be a very happy man! Thanks again!
Sure thing. FWIW, I'm still trying to figure out what I prefer in terms of dosing into the fuge vs not. What i can say for sure is that it absolutely increases algae growth in the fuge. However, considering I have to dose nutrients to keep detectable levels I'm not really sure I want to supercharge my fuge. It's plenty powerful enough dosing after the fuge. I've also noticed I have a lot more competing algae (hair algae etc.) when I dose into the fuge vs after. When I dosed after the fuge I find it easier to keep my Chaeto dominant. I don't have enough evidence yet to say this isn't just coincidence but I'm seeing a pattern from various tests.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a stunner! Looking forward to the next chapter :)

Thank you! I'm planning to do a much larger tank with lots of open space and some massive SPS colonies instead of the wall to wall thing with lots of small colonies here. Should be fun!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello any updates? :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@CMO How's your reef doing?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just hopped over to see any updates! :(

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMO awesome thread, just love your tank and your method. Subscribed to it to see your next update

TampaMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant believe I am just now finding this thread! I have been trying to research the triton method with SPS dominant tanks and all I can find are horror stories.

It seems like the triton method is super efficient at removing nutrients. The fuge seems integral to the methods success. With your experience, how do you think removing the skimmer would affect everything?

edited for spelling

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@CMO, just hoping your reef is doing well and wishing you a happy Labor Day!!

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off beautiful display tank, the best part is how organized your gear is. It honestly looks like a work of art. Great work. Since you use the triton method, I was wondering what type of salt do you use when you do your odd water changes? Also do you use triton testing kits?

Back