CO2 BOTTLES OR FIRE EXTUINGSHERS FOR CALCIUM REACTOR?

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am looking at getting a Deltec Twintech 1500 for my 1000L tank next year when I move, so I am researching (to the n'th degree) the equipment that I want to add, after I've moved.
One of them is a Calcium reactor.

What is better to run a Calcium reactor off, a co2 fire extinguisher or a co2 bottle?
And is there a need to go for food grade CO2 or is standard good enough?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 is Co2 the fire extinguisher Co2 tank will be too small for a cal rx. fire extinguisher Co2 tank can be used in small freshwater tanks but the Co2 needed for a cal rx is greater and you will have to keep several tanks around so you don’t run out on a weekend when you can not get it replaced.

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look at getting a CO2 bottle.
A lot of companies local to me won't supply Co2 bottles to individuals, so I will have to put it through my dad's business to get it.

Which of these regulators would be best suited or does it depend on the type of bottle that I have?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a calcium reactor you would want a standard CO2 tank and not a fire extinguisher. There is a difference in how these two CO2 tanks supply CO2 to the valve. A standard CO2 tank will supply gas to the valve as the CO2 liquid remains on the bottom of the tank and the gas at the top of the tank. CO2 fire extinguisher tanks have a siphon tube that extends from the valve to the bottom of the tank which allows liquid CO2 to be delivered to the valve. Regulators for many calcium reactors are only for use with CO2 gas. I lease a CO2 tank from air gas with the option to buy the tank. Purchasing off brand CO2 tanks has a risk that a CO2 supplier will not fill them as they cannot or will not certify the tank thus they will not fill the tank.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a two stage regulator instead of the single stage you are looking at. You will be able to control the gas flow a lot better when the CO2 bottle is low on gas.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a two stage regulator instead of the single stage you are looking at. You will be able to control the gas flow a lot better when the CO2 bottle is low on gas.

I would agree that a two stage regulator is a good option. I use a carbon doser electronic regulator with a Neptune solenoid valve as a backup to stop the gas flow in the event that the reactor pH gets too low. I would always recommend a good quality regulator.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Hi,

I am looking at getting a Deltec Twintech 1500 for my 1000L tank next year when I move, so I am researching (to the n'th degree) the equipment that I want to add, after I've moved.
One of them is a Calcium reactor.

What is better to run a Calcium reactor off, a co2 fire extinguisher or a co2 bottle?
And is there a need to go for food grade CO2 or is standard good enough?
When I home brewed and carbed my own beer, I got my co2 refilled at a paintball place. Beers turned out fine.

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou all for your help.
I will certainly go for a co2 bottle as opposed to a fire extuingsher.
A s make sure that it is gas that’s supplied as opposed to liquid.
Will also consider a dual regulator as well.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just noticed your from the UK so you can get CO2 bottles from Hobbyweld here

I use the food grade, because I have 3 and use them for beer making so have them around. You pay a deposit and the refills are around £30 or thereabouts. I dont know how long it will last but probably for ever!

I’ve also go the Twin Tech 1500 and this is the regulator which is recommended by DD and you can get it from Charterhouse. They also recommend the Rhowalith W (chunky version not the fine version). Charterhouse also sell this but it’s not shown on their web site for ‘technical reasons’ but call them and ask for James. And tell him Shaun sent you! Lol

The regulator needs to be dual stage which this is. It has a needle valve for fine adjustment

You will also need some CO2 hose to connect the regulator to the solenoid valve (I got this from an ‘auction site‘ CO2 shop)

And this is a picture of it in place. It’s very simple to set up and using it is a delight. To alter the output you just press a button to increase or decrease flow. That’s it.

If you need any help setting it up just let me know

1BEBEC54-FD00-47EB-802D-FCB273674BEF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect

Thanks for your assistance and offer of help. How bigs your tank?

I’ve just noticed your from the UK so you can get CO2 bottles from Hobbyweld here

I use the food grade, because I have 3 and use them for beer making so have them around. You pay a deposit and the refills are around £30 or thereabouts. I dont know how long it will last but probably for ever!

I’ve also go the Twin Tech 1500 and this is the regulator which is recommended by DD and you can get it from Charterhouse. They also recommend the Rhowalith W (chunky version not the fine version). Charterhouse also sell this but it’s not shown on their web site for ‘technical reasons’ but call them and ask for James. And tell him Shaun sent you! Lol

The regulator needs to be dual stage which this is. It has a needle valve for fine adjustment

You will also need some CO2 hose to connect the regulator to the solenoid valve (I got this from an ‘auction site‘ CO2 shop)

And this is a picture of it in place. It’s very simple to set up and using it is a delight. To alter the output you just press a button to increase or decrease flow. That’s it.

If you need any help setting it up just let me know

1BEBEC54-FD00-47EB-802D-FCB273674BEF.jpeg
t,

Back