Coal in your reef tank: Do you use carbon?

Do you use carbon in your reef tank?

• I regularly use carbon in my tank

Votes: 392 58.5%
  • I occasionally use carbon in my tank

Votes: 173 25.8%
  • I have used carbon in my tank in the past, but no longer use carbon

Votes: 58 8.7%
  • I have never used carbon in my tank

Votes: 47 7.0%

• Total voters

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always using it in every tank I have. Never got an issue with Surgeons and activated carbon. Tried and I'm using a few (random) brands as AC.
Just what I'm trying to avoid is tumbling it. The water has to pass through it but not to force the particles rub in each other releasing dust in the water current. Tested and using it in a media reactor and in bags in the sump in a high flow area.
Every single system I have is with activated carbon in it, replacing it every 3-5 months (by this reason I'm overkilling the amount of it), also it helps for the beneficial bacteria as well.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 300 gallon. I used carbon for about two weeks since I have a mixed reef, mostly LPS, lots of Zoa's and a few SPS. Sometimes I used Chemipure Blue instead to help lower any heavy metals if any.. In the process of buying a ozone reactor to keep water super clear.

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small reactor from BRS and replace carbon once a month. I removed it for 2 months to see if I noticed a difference in PE for my SPS. I did not notice a difference and also starting getting a yellow tint to water even with water changes. Fired it back up and all seems happy. I have a purple Tang in my tank that I have had for 25 years, with no issues.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will run carbon in a reactor if I suspect coral warfare, or if the water seems yellow. Two days of running is all it takes, and then I turn it off. I replace all carbon after two days of use, as it seems ineffective after that.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used carbon passively in my tanks most of my reefing life. I have a softie dominant tank with macro algae. I never have had any of my fish develope lateral line or hole in the head disease. I had gotten away from it here a year or so but a paly die off a few months back that killed a couple of coral nearby has me back to using it 24/7. I change a small amount weekly with the filter floss when I do water changes.

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When it comes to presents you may wistfully stare at your tank and think, “All I want for Christmas is you” or “I want a Hippopus for Christmas”, but what about your stocking? Were you on the naughty or nice list? Will you get coal in your stocking? Ok, you don’t have to answer that, but we would like to know if you put coal in your tank - I mean, in the form of carbon and carbon dosing? Anyone else use a carbon tower for their RODI water? Do you use carbon? Tell us why or why not and share your experiences.
BRS_Carbon.jpeg

Photo by @Bulk Reef Supply

If you must know, I did actually get a large hunk of coal in my stocking when I was twelve. My dad filled the Christmas stockings that we opened on Christmas Eve and my mom was in charge of the presents that we opened on Christmas morning. I got a train set on Christmas morning, but many, many years later I still remember the coal. I deserved it and my dad got his message across. I made extra sure that I was on the nice list the next year. If you do get coal this year (and a few of you probably deserve it), I hope that it comes in the form of carbon!
Chemipure blue use

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use carbon often but I do keep it around. I do use it in my RODI unit. I am a large coal supporter, until we come up with something the works all the time, coal is it. Nuclear is good but we aren't building plants.

What does being a coal supporter have to do with this thread lol

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to run mixed reef’s with various soft corals, so I like to run the carbon to absorb any chemical warfare and I do see better polyp extension when it’s refreshed.

Kiwi reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to when I started in reefing but the more I’ve got into Tangs the more concerned I’ve become about HLLE. So until
I find more evidence I’m going to avoid for now.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon 24/7 for over 6 yrs. Always wash it after putting into my BRS reactor then put back online on pump. Always wash the dust off it before using in my tanks and the sponges so it doesn’t move inside the reactor

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When it comes to presents you may wistfully stare at your tank and think, “All I want for Christmas is you” or “I want a Hippopus for Christmas”, but what about your stocking? Were you on the naughty or nice list? Will you get coal in your stocking? Ok, you don’t have to answer that, but we would like to know if you put coal in your tank - I mean, in the form of carbon and carbon dosing? Anyone else use a carbon tower for their RODI water? Do you use carbon? Tell us why or why not and share your experiences.
BRS_Carbon.jpeg

Photo by @Bulk Reef Supply

If you must know, I did actually get a large hunk of coal in my stocking when I was twelve. My dad filled the Christmas stockings that we opened on Christmas Eve and my mom was in charge of the presents that we opened on Christmas morning. I got a train set on Christmas morning, but many, many years later I still remember the coal. I deserved it and my dad got his message across. I made extra sure that I was on the nice list the next year. If you do get coal this year (and a few of you probably deserve it), I hope that it comes in the form of carbon!
I have a carbon reactor keeps the water crystal clear and no odor

Paulandreti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it whenever i test something in the water i´d like to remove, however not permanent, as it happens (as per my perception) a color loss in my acros.

I´m very curious about the carbon/tangs issue.... is there a thread to it??

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the Seachem Tidal 35 filter with poly-fil and about a half a cup of Seachem Matrix carbon. I am now changing out the poly-fil and carbon every two weeks with a four gallon water change. It is all I use and the water is clear as gin.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back