Cobalt blue softy-“SMURF POLYPS”!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We shall see I guess. If you find a pic of known Sympodium looking as this does I’d be grateful to you for sharing it here.
giphy.gif
There’s countless photos of it on google...
Just search blue sympodium photos...
all of them have that slightly green color on the tips.
your coral is just not happy so therefor not extended for you to see.

I used to own blue sympodum myself and it looked exactly like yours.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s countless photos of it on google...
Just search blue sympodium photos...
all of them have that slightly green color on the tips.
your coral is just not happy so therefor not extended for you to see.

I used to own blue sympodum myself and it looked exactly like yours.
So it shouldn’t be hard to find another upset blue sympodium to share an image of. Right? If you think I didn’t search any blue coral I could find to see something that looked similar before ever posting here then you would be mistaken.

Please share a pic

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all Alcyonium verseveldti are (as) feathery as seen in most pictures, it is just the most common type seen. Most do have this white powdery sheen when closed. I am rather convinced that these smurf polyps are simply a genetics based color morph of the same featherless type of A. verseveldti as in this picture.

simpodium_0.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally posted in the SPS forum looking for an ID. It’s been indicated that this may be some “ultra rare” coral. I’m skeptical as I’m sure anyone would be since I picked this up for less than $20.
Anyone here think this might be SMURF POLYPS?!?!?

ABA2C056-C175-4212-A630-21E80B6F9E29.jpeg 2A4DA4D1-EDF6-43EE-98F7-8D2353EDB8C6.jpeg
7CCFE606-211E-416C-BA6E-A8363BBD42F7.png
C75F368C-BD64-4875-8B5D-13D40888E33C.jpeg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all Alcyonium verseveldti are (as) feathery as seen in most pictures, it is just the most common type seen. Most do have this white powdery sheen when closed. I am rather convinced that these smurf polyps are simply a genetics based color morph of the same featherless type of A. verseveldti as in this picture.

simpodium_0.jpg
The white specs you see are actually calcium carbonate spikules that the coral uses to give itself rigidity similar to some other corals like carnation trees

696D4A25-07F2-4B68-8F46-B2B0D90954FD.png

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

simpodium_0.jpg

Hm interesting never seen one like that nice

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

simpodium_0.jpg
Maybe? You’ve posted the closest competitor so far.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be best to hit it tonight when all lights are out, utilize the flash on your phone to snag a good one.

Just wonder how it reacts with no lights at all, see there is light bleeding in the room or tank lights are starting to warm up.

Regardless, I am still lost

giphy.gif

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be best to hit it tonight when all lights are out, utilize the flash on your phone to snag a good one.

Just wonder how it reacts with no lights at all, see there is light bleeding in the room or tank lights are starting to warm up.

Regardless, I am still lost

giphy.gif
My wife has her hydroponic stuff in the “hobby room” and her grow lights come on really early. All lights are out around 9:30-10pm in the building.
I fed the tank with a little bit of Coral Frenzy after the photo. Didn’t get a feeding response.

E5FBCD60-B4B3-4CB1-8F34-C901E1AA92FF.jpeg 4A3CB88B-498D-4385-BEFB-735B87ED8434.jpeg

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best time I get feeding responses from my oddball livestock is when the lights are completely out and its pitch black.

Thats when I see all the bismas come out

Also, my acan/micromussa colonies all REALLY enjoy feeding late night (all their feeder tentacles are usually out)

GF looks at me like Im nuts when I leave bed to go sit with a tiny flashlight in front of the tank at 2300. Dont forget my @AlgaeBarn and Reef Nutrition sitting on the coffee table next to me! LOL

crayonbreaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some interesting insight to provide to this as a maybe... Looking at the cup the coral came in as well as the frag plug it is on I can tell you this. I received a frag of this very same looking coral from a wholesaler and it was a blue goni. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just another point of view to include.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some interesting insight to provide to this as a maybe... Looking at the cup the coral came in as well as the frag plug it is on I can tell you this. I received a frag of this very same looking coral from a wholesaler and it was a blue goni. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just another point of view to include.
I don’t think the cup has anything to do with what this is. I have several of these sample cups because that is what my LFS puts the frags in when I buy coral (once a rock nem) from them. Maybe the frag plug has some significance but it’s not something I would put much stock into. Like I’ve said from the beginning, I’m very skeptical that this will end up being something more than just a common coral with a very stunning blue color but why not find out for sure what it is. You can’t win the lottery if you don’t play.

I’ll have to look more at Goniopora but with this frag I am only seeing 8 bumps around the circumference and what I’ve seen with Goniopora is many more than 8.
36B7571F-EC8D-4018-93CD-851F149CD839.jpeg

crayonbreaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, I was not pointing out just the cup. I am pointing out the fact of the cup, the frag disk, the frag its self, and the presumed time the store got this frag. I received all of the above in the same manner. Take or leave it... just letting you know.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, I was not pointing out just the cup. I am pointing out the fact of the cup, the frag disk, the frag its self, and the presumed time the store got this frag. I received all of the above in the same manner. Take or leave it... just letting you know.
I am in no way denying nor discrediting what you are saying. Just trying to get to the bottom of it. It may just need time to get comfortable and show us what it is.

In the interim, I may just name these polyps “The Smurfettes”. Or maybe “The Little Smurf that Could”!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the cup has anything to do with what this is. I have several of these sample cups because that is what my LFS puts the frags in when I buy coral (once a rock nem) from them. Maybe the frag plug has some significance but it’s not something I would put much stock into. Like I’ve said from the beginning, I’m very skeptical that this will end up being something more than just a common coral with a very stunning blue color but why not find out for sure what it is. You can’t win the lottery if you don’t play.

I’ll have to look more at Goniopora but with this frag I am only seeing 8 bumps around the circumference and what I’ve seen with Goniopora is many more than 8.
36B7571F-EC8D-4018-93CD-851F149CD839.jpeg
Goniopora has 24
Alveopora has 12

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back