Cobalt Neotherm failed after just 3 months. Cobalt gave me the run around and refused to warranty it.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 of their heaters on July 21 and it is now November 2. I noticed my tank temp struggling to maintain 76F at a 70F room temp (I'm heating 26g with two 75w heaters, 150w total for reference). I called their customer support line and after getting the run around several times, the rep flat out told me that "their heaters do not fail," that it was probably user error on my part. He then added that, "he had never seen one with an actual issue other than a bad led." I pushed them to replace it under warranty and was told that they were in the middle of moving, and that "all warranty claims were on hold" until they finish. The person who I actually talked to on the phone then instructed me to submit a ticket via webmail, and that after they were finished moving they would, "get to it when they could", but even then I would need to pay to mail the heater back for service, and they would not send me a new one for my tank. I was then instructed to purchase a 3rd heater from Cobalt to cover my needs while the warranty was being processed and asked if I needed help making the new purchase. What an absolute joke of a company.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the snake oil salesmen of old, they apparently just pack up and move to the next town when issues arise.
As far as I know, Aquael is the company that basically fills the same niche, you might have a better chance of being taken care of by them.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, Aquael is the company that basically fills the same niche, you might have a better chance of being taken care of by them.
This. IIRC AquaEl was the polish outfit that was making the heaters for cobalt. I had a cobalt fail and one split apart in two different tanks, you couldn't pay me to use them anymore.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back