Cold weather is upon us, can I drop tank temps?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Ohio the winter weather is here/coming. With this comes slightly cooler home temps at our house, and certainly in the “somewhat” heated basement. Yeah it’s warm down there, but definitely cooler the the rest of the home.

Anyways, with my sump being in the basement and the tank heater coming on more and more during these cold months, am I able to drop my tank temp a few degrees as well? Of course slowly, if yes.

My tank currently is and always has been a steady 77.5*F. I run a 300w heater as my main source with a 200w backup that may randomly kick on to supplement when it gets colder.

I’ve been in the hobby almost 12yrs and never really thought about changing temps during the colder months.

Is it worth it? Electricity wise? Other reasons?Or don’t even bother?

Thanks!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
74° is typically getting on the low end of what many reefs see in the winter months; I wouldnt expect to see issues but growth rate may be negatively impacted (articles suggest 81° being ideal for that though I tend to keep my tank slightly cooler around 79°). I'm not sure you'd really save any money doing this in the end (depending on your basement's ambient temps I suppose).

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally run it hotter in the winter and cooler in the summer. The reason being if heat fails,in the home, it has farther to drop in the tank before reaching critical low temp. And vice versa in the summer, farther to rise before a real problem if a/c fails. Just my .02

OP
OP
DaneGer21

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think attempting to cover and insulate your sump along with the supply/return piping would yield greater benefit.

I do have the sump insulated on the bottom and sides with 1”hard foam insulation.

Good idea on the pipes. I’ll get some pipe insulation!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you insulated the bottom of and around your sump? That’ll do wonders to retain the heat. I’d even consider partially covering the top to minimize evaporation.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Columbus so I know about that cold thing too. I have never bothered to change the temp on any of my systems. I keep them at ~78 year-round. Insulating things as best as you can will help a bit, but it just isn't something I'd spend much time or $$$ on.

OP
OP
DaneGer21

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you insulated the bottom of and around your sump? That’ll do wonders to retain the heat. I’d even consider partially covering the top to minimize evaporation.

Yes the sump is insulated on the bottom and all sides with 1” hard foam insulation.

Saltbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tanks between 75-76 year round and all of my corals, fish, and inverts are happy, growing, and thriving.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My winter temperature is 72. My summer temperature is 78. At 72 I see no negative impact on corals nor fish. In fact, my coral color seems to improve in cooler water. They become more metalic looking (higher sheen).

The cooler water does impact how much vinegar I add to my Kalk top off. In the summer I have to decrease the amount compared to winter or my alkalinity gets too high. I believe this is do to a decreased metabolic rate of bacteria in cooler water.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Ohio as well, I generally put the glass top back on in the winter time. Without the glass top my tank will run around 76-77 range. with it on it goes to 78-79. I have a harder time keeping the tank cool in the summer than warm in the winter.

OP
OP
DaneGer21

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone’s ideas, tips, and situations, I really appreciate it.

To follow up...I don’t have any issues hearing or cooling my tank. I’ve never had any issues keeping my tank and inhabitants @77.5F. I was just thinking about it one day and thought there could be potential savings.

I think for now I’ll keep the tank as is, thanks again!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hmmm.... im 78 deg year round

Pondweed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Australia, but I drop mine over winter and let it run a few degrees warmer over summer. In winter I let it run at 25.5 or 77.9 farenheit. Then summer I let it sit at 26-27, I haven't had any problems

Not too sure on the savings but stops my chiller staying on all summer which has to save something. I haven't had any negative effects

seahorsemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Ohio the winter weather is here/coming. With this comes slightly cooler home temps at our house, and certainly in the “somewhat” heated basement. Yeah it’s warm down there, but definitely cooler the the rest of the home.

Anyways, with my sump being in the basement and the tank heater coming on more and more during these cold months, am I able to drop my tank temp a few degrees as well? Of course slowly, if yes.

My tank currently is and always has been a steady 77.5*F. I run a 300w heater as my main source with a 200w backup that may randomly kick on to supplement when it gets colder.

I’ve been in the hobby almost 12yrs and never really thought about changing temps during the colder months.

Is it worth it? Electricity wise? Other reasons?Or don’t even bother?

Thanks!
I have my system set to control temperature based on yearly ocean average temp (global warming not included) so gets cooler during winter. Current temp is 76.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back