coldwater

brencrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone built a coldwater set up. monterrey bay aquarium inspired me!

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in Monterey 40 years ago and we had one in my high school oceanography class. Pretty much the same as the common tropical reef except you'll need a chiller to keep the water at about 50°F.
I still live about an hour from Monterey, now on San Francisco Bay, and have thought about setting one up.
I see a few problems with this:
1. Hard to find specimens as most of the central California coast is part of a larger National Marine Sanctuary and collecting is prohibited. San Francisco Bay has lots of pollutants and a very high percentage of its creatures are NOT endemic to California. They are invasive species from other seas.
2. If you do find specimens, there's not a lot of literature available on the compatibility, diseases that hobbyists can handle or feeding guidelines. This applies to most coldwater areas, even where you can legally collect.
3. Monterey Bay Aquarium is spectacular for sure, but on a grand scale. Would be very hard to duplicate it in miniature, unlike a standard reef tank.

If you do decide to do this, please post a build thread.

OP
OP
brencrazy

brencrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have actual kept a 10 gallon tank for the last 6 months and its cold water. and i upsized a week ago and the tank is beautiful and the anemones are splitting again and its was built on a budget because i am just a kid. people told me that i wouldn't be able to keep any salt tank alive and i saw it as a challenge and built a pico reef (2.5 gallons) then they said i couldn't keep a coldwater tank with out a chiller and i did it! i took a bucket and some pipe and filled it full of cement and built the tank for only 40$ sump and everything. this hobby is amazing and challenging!

OP
OP
brencrazy

brencrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2ef191d5330926f0db84ef7c33048499.jpg
my 10 gallon and that bleach anemone is doing better know i switched up my food and its coloring up nicely![emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have actual kept a 10 gallon tank for the last 6 months and its cold water. and i upsized a week ago and the tank is beautiful and the anemones are splitting again and its was built on a budget because i am just a kid. people told me that i wouldn't be able to keep any salt tank alive and i saw it as a challenge and built a pico reef (2.5 gallons) then they said i couldn't keep a coldwater tank with out a chiller and i did it! i took a bucket and some pipe and filled it full of cement and built the tank for only 40$ sump and everything. this hobby is

OP
OP
brencrazy

brencrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that one is! i will take a picture of me new one right now

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! I've been a fish kid since I was 9 years old (26 years now). Wasn't brave enough to try saltwater until 5-6 years ago though. Is the bucket of cement a way to keep things cooler? Does it work? (Have you tried running with/without it to see any difference?).

OP
OP
brencrazy

brencrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! I've been a fish kid since I was 9 years old (26 years now). Wasn't brave enough to try saltwater until 5-6 years ago though. Is the bucket of cement a way to keep things cooler? Does it work? (Have you tried running with/without it to see any difference?).
people told me i couldn't keep a tank in my garage and because its bucket of cement when it is set on the floor its it get super cold there is very little control over temp but tide pools change too so i dont really worry about it. the last week its been holding at around 60-58 without a chiller. with the cliller i can get it down to 51 but it doesn't get colder.

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people told me i couldn't keep a tank in my garage and because its bucket of cement when it is set on the floor its it get super cold there is very little control over temp but tide pools change too so i dont really worry about it. the last week its been holding at around 60-58 without a chiller. with the cliller i can get it down to 51 but it doesn't get colder.
Nice! Now all you need is a Catalina Goby. Always wanted one of those but they don't do well in a typical tropical reef.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back