OP
OP
brencrazy

brencrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update I downgraded in size so I can make a clean tank still Coldwater tank is pretty new only been set up for a week
1dc4c6bdaa20d2ea4b6029ead902c007.jpg

lauderdalestunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seriously tempted to try. I have a connection for deep water invertebrates from the Gulf Stream. The expense to set up and run something suitable is keeping me back. It would be interesting to see what's down there an what's necessary for keep something alive for any amount of time. I'll need to read about the affects of pressure. They do ship the crab out live so???

OP
OP
brencrazy

brencrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seriously tempted to try. I have a connection for deep water invertebrates from the Gulf Stream. The expense to set up and run something suitable is keeping me back. It would be interesting to see what's down there an what's necessary for keep something alive for any amount of time. I'll need to read about the affects of pressure. They do ship the crab out live so???
I do not know much about Atlantic Coldwater tanks. But to get the tank up and running depending on size it very easy it's just a little different than a reef tank if you decide to build one please post a feed I would love to see it.

lauderdalestunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e68e1dcb49922aa1c7a7d4df41703f9b.jpg

Just got my cold water connection. If I'm to keep anything alive for any amount of time he hauls his gear in 45-50 degree water temp at the bottom of the gulf stream, this guy only lived a few minutes longer didn't react well to water at 212 degrees. But tasted well.

My guy has attached dredges and small traps to his pots in the past for collecting shells for my grandfather, I'm not into the shells as much as he was, I like all the little odd ball critter you might come across

U

User1

View Badges
Being an active diver in Monterey I will say when I do a day trip I usually bring a storage container with me to collect some water and bring back. Very good polyp extension when I do - corals love it. In any case Monterey surface temperatures vary but below it will be anywhere from 45 - 49 degrees Fahrenheit on the deeper side with 50 - 59 in the shallower side. Difficult to keep that temperature long term in home aquariums.

That and of course most areas around the Monterey area are reserves so best check location of any collecting before hand. I usually check every other year with the state water resource control in case something changes. With our political landscape and tighter water controls using NSW is the right thing to do as long as it is collected outside the SF bay.

I really miss my trips with my Uncle on his sail boat :) Collecting off the Farallons would have been pure joy. That water is super awesome sauce and great diving back in the day. Too bad the local landlord (great white) stopped most charters from visiting among other things.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a bunch of snails and red palegiac crabs home from a beach in monterey and threw them in a 10 gallon without a heater or light, just live rock. They lived in there for about 6 months eating pellets and no water changes. Not sure how they perished....could have been one of a few different things. My ultimate goal albiet a little illegal is to have a full blown cold water tidepool with rock crabs, barnicles, abalone, anemones and the little blennys i see swimming around at the ones here in monterey/santa cruz.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back