Cole tang white patches 2 weeks into QT

britphish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can anyone help with the ID on this please?
My new Kole Tang has developed large semi circular white patches on its body and face.

It’s been in QT 2 weeks with some other fish, and has recently developed white patches. The other fish seem fine.

The fish seems to be eating and active.

Should I treat the whole QT? Separate and dip? Or keep a close eye?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,

8B09D4E9-BB14-495A-B48B-208D8BD7362E.jpeg
FF0092A2-61D5-4175-A804-26DF812CDC66.jpeg

Charlie CD77C4EF-1AFA-4CE5-9B93-B02F9FC66FC6.jpeg 73A7F5F4-87C7-403B-A829-54EB487C8D1E.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1762.MOV
    8.1 MB
  • IMG_1763.MOV
    1 MB
  • IMG_1764.MOV
    4 MB
  • IMG_1765.MOV
    1.2 MB

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the white patches raised up a bit and cottony, fibrous or cauliflower like in texture? Or are they smooth, filmy?

OP
OP
B

britphish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the white patches raised up a bit and cottony, fibrous or cauliflower like in texture? Or are they smooth, filmy?

Hi Big G, thank you for responding.
It seems the sides Look like they are smooth. It looks like it is a ring of something progressing outwards?

I was wondering if it may be Hlle ir bacterial as it still seems to be eating well.

I’ve also watched it closely for a while and there is Badgerface in there that he sometimes has a nip at. Was wondering if he could have potentially been stung also. Although I’m not sure this is likely.

Thanks again,

Charlie

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had the exact same symptoms. Fins not extended also.
He will start to lose his color too.
I did a freshwater dip 5 mins. For flukes, a couple fell off then a 14 day QT in copperpower at 2.0 he was fine. 18 months later he's a fatty.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smooth and white areas need to be viewed with suspicion. Likely they are bacterial infections. It's important to remember that bacterial infections are usually secondary to some other actor. Could be flukes, injury from wedging into rocks/equipment at night, aggression, etc.
A freshwater dip will either confirm or eliminate flukes as the cause. And then we move forward from their as a process of elimination to the best treatment.

OP
OP
B

britphish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They kinda look like bite marks to me. Do you have any type of blenny or other tangs?

Hi Trigger Finger,

Thanks for looking.

There is indeed.I have just searched and seen similar marks on other bite mark threads.

As mentioned, they all seem happy, and eating well.

I’m worried that keeping them confined in QT may escalate the problem. Do you think moving them to The DT may be a solution as each can hide / create there own territory etc? I’m worried that moving in stages may actually make it worse. And keeping as is doesn’t look to be a good plan either.

I was planning on moving them in this weekend anyway, as until this they all seemed healthy and happy.

Many thanks,

C

OP
OP
B

britphish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smooth and white areas need to be viewed with suspicion. Likely they are bacterial infections. It's important to remember that bacterial infections are usually secondary to some other actor. Could be flukes, injury from wedging into rocks/equipment at night, aggression, etc.
A freshwater dip will either confirm or eliminate flukes as the cause. And then we move forward from their as a process of elimination to the best treatment.

Thanks Big G,

Could these be bite marks as TriggerFinger mentions? The rings seem to align with this too.

I can sit and watch for a few hours to see what happens.

If there is aggression I could transfer and FW dip to cover for flukes?

I could leave him in QT and move the others out to give him time to recover. My worry here is, I don’t want to add him last if he’s already the butt of aggression. I also don’t want to inadvertently transfer anything nasty into DT on the other fish.

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated!

OP
OP
B

britphish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had the exact same symptoms. Fins not extended also.
He will start to lose his color too.
I did a freshwater dip 5 mins. For flukes, a couple fell off then a 14 day QT in copperpower at 2.0 he was fine. 18 months later he's a fatty.

Thank you, I’ll try a dip and see if anything materialises.

Many thanks,

C

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would continue your QT until it’s completed. You can add something to the tank so they have places to hide, PVC fittings, plastic aquarium plants, etc...I’ve seen some people use the clay flower pots in QT also. Note that I cannot see the video, I’m only going off of your first set of pictures and it looks like bite marks to me. Also note that Big G is the disease/treatment expert so heed his advice about the freshwater dip as flukes are a possibility too.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be HLLE. Caused by improper diet, Carbon, or the Copper.
I cant see the pictures well on my phone and it seems others have done a better job on diagnosing.

When adding fish its best to add in order of agression passive to aggressive, So if he is the bully it is better he goes in last.

Back