Collecting a clean up crew in Pinellas county Florida

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call! I'll have to come up with a plan for where to find live rock.
If you want to buy some liverock that just came out of the water, there is a company in Oldsmar that sells live rock. They may be a little out of your way depending on where you are in the county. They do local pickup there on Saturdays. I used them for just a bit of live rock and am glad I did. I bought their smallest package (the jar package) of basically a few smallish rocks and enough sand to replace what I had in my established 13 gallon tank. I ended up with a porcelain crab, chiton, a couple brittle stars, a few hitch hiker corals, 3 types of Caulerpa, and a couple small nuisance crabs I had to catch.
Tampa Bay Saltwater: https://tbsaltwater.com/product-category/ups-rock-sand-critters/

Although it may not be a problem, my main concern with hermit crabs and snails from very shallow water is if they have some algae you don't want or cyano on the shells. I recommend brushing off the shells well and using a q-tip to wipe them down with hydrogen peroxide for maybe a minute to burn anything left off. But that's just me.

On the causeway to Honeymoon Island at a lower tide, you can often, but not always, find lots of small hermit crabs in the puddles. Don't take the tiny black snails though. I think they are nuisance snails. There is a great cheap food tiki bar on the causeway where you can sit at a table with your feet in the sand and watch the sunset over the water.

Also, if you go onto Honeymoon Island state park ($8 fee) there are thousands of rocks of all sizes that are agatized coral that is millions of years old. I use these rocks in the tank because you can get any size or shape and most importantly you can drill them because they are soft. I make frag rocks and can drill holes for rock anemones to live in if you want them to stay put. (except for the dog beach, the closer beaches to the entrance have more rocks, drive to the furthest beaches if you want sand.)

Small frag holder rock:
1685578316602.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Thanks a ton for the advice. I may head up to Honeymoon island, but I'm closer to Fort De Soto end. Debating grabbing that jar or pico package from that spot in oldsmar too... I'm somewhat worried about hitchhikers and nuisance algae etc. but I go back and forth.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Thanks a ton for the advice. I may head up to Honeymoon island, but I'm closer to Fort De Soto end. Debating grabbing that jar or pico package from that spot in oldsmar too... I'm somewhat worried about hitchhikers and nuisance algae etc. but I go back and forth.
Skyway bridge side of Fort DeSoto is grass flats and full of life. Tons of macro algae and sea grass growing there. Leave the seagrass alone though, as not allowed to be harvested. The gracilliria is though and you are allowed up to a gallon a day. If worried about baddies, just freeze it and then you can use mixed in with fish food.

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skyway bridge side of Fort DeSoto is grass flats and full of life. Tons of macro algae and sea grass growing there. Leave the seagrass alone though, as not allowed to be harvested. The gracilliria is though and you are allowed up to a gallon a day. If worried about baddies, just freeze it and then you can use mixed in with fish food.
Awesome. I will definitely check this out. Are there any specific restrictions for Fort De Soto since it is an official park?

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if I freeze it... would I then be able to add it to a tank and it would live or once I freeze its basically just fish food?

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live and boat regularly in the area you will be. FYI, you will have an excellent chance of being inspected by leo so I would err on the legal side. Have fun and good luck.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I will definitely check this out. Are there any specific restrictions for Fort De Soto since it is an official park?
Outside of normal regulations for recreational fishing, no.

Also, if I freeze it... would I then be able to add it to a tank and it would live or once I freeze its basically just fish food?
Once frozen, it is now only food.

Lemon Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the importance of regulations and restrictions on such activities. However I wonder, to what extent are they implemented?
I'm a resident of Pinellas County. Out in the water, and on the shore line, they patrol pretty regularly - especially on weekends and holidays - and actively take an interest in people fishing, collecting, and adults hauling buckets of water (unless it's a pink bucket shaped like a sandcastle). The officers are pretty laid back, but they're serious about enforcement.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the east end of the Skyway Bridge to be a good spot, but only at low tide. the south side of the bridge is an oyster bed with a rocky break. Off that break you can collect a whole slew of species, my favorite being the pedersens cleaner shrimp which can be found in abundance. The immediate area being a 'fish cleaning station' also attracts tangs and yellow boxfish. Definitely do the 'stingray shuffle' though... there are hundreds in the shallows.

Keep an eye out for large pored sponges, these will house small alphaus pistol shrimp not common in the hobby, but far more acceptable in a reef tank than a tiger pistol. Red lines, clear body, blue on the claw. Super bright, can't miss them.

Speaking of keeping your fingers safe... if you go poking between the rocks, do so with a plastic spudger and NOT YOUR FINGER... Unless you want an Oyster Toadfish to wear on your hand as a conversation starter.

On the north end of that east side is a seagrass flat, and at low tide, nassarius everywhere, but also whelks, familiarize yourself with the difference to spot them on the fly.

EndlessWest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the east end of the Skyway Bridge to be a good spot, but only at low tide. the south side of the bridge is an oyster bed with a rocky break. Off that break you can collect a whole slew of species, my favorite being the pedersens cleaner shrimp which can be found in abundance. The immediate area being a 'fish cleaning station' also attracts tangs and yellow boxfish. Definitely do the 'stingray shuffle' though... there are hundreds in the shallows.

Keep an eye out for large pored sponges, these will house small alphaus pistol shrimp not common in the hobby, but far more acceptable in a reef tank than a tiger pistol. Red lines, clear body, blue on the claw. Super bright, can't miss them.

Speaking of keeping your fingers safe... if you go poking between the rocks, do so with a plastic spudger and NOT YOUR FINGER... Unless you want an Oyster Toadfish to wear on your hand as a conversation starter.

On the north end of that east side is a seagrass flat, and at low tide, nassarius everywhere, but also whelks, familiarize yourself with the difference to spot them on the fly.
Hey Stateline!
I live a couple of miles from the Skyway and I’m interested in snorkeling and seeing some of these critters you’re speaking of.

When you talk about the east side of the bridge, are you talking about where the rest area is on the north side?
And when you refer to the rocky area on the south end, are you talking about the rocky wave buffer that’s beside the road that leads out to the south pier?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Stateline!
I live a couple of miles from the Skyway and I’m interested in snorkeling and seeing some of these critters you’re speaking of.

When you talk about the east side of the bridge, are you talking about where the rest area is on the north side?
Exactly, where the rest area is. South drive actually, the one where the small bridge is.
And when you refer to the rocky area on the south end, are you talking about the rocky wave buffer that’s beside the road that leads out to the south pier?
No, not the area where everyone parks. East of that. The wave break and the oyster bed shoreward of it are diverse. The rocks everyone fishes off, not so much.

img_1_1688035973301.jpg

And that's the flats by the north end...

EndlessWest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, where the rest area is. South drive actually, the one where the small bridge is.

No, not the area where everyone parks. East of that. The wave break and the oyster bed shoreward of it are diverse. The rocks everyone fishes off, not so much.

img_1_1688035973301.jpg

img_1_1688035973301.jpg

Ok I think I know the area you’re referring to.
It would be the man made rock buffer about one hundred yards up from rest area on the manatee county (south end) rest area, correct?

Me to my wife: I can’t tell if he means this area at the south pier, or this area at the north pier, and there’s also this area here…

Wife to me: why don’t you just snorkel around all of them and find out?

Me: oh yeah.. I could do that…

EndlessWest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

img_1_1688035973301.jpg

I went out snorkeling and looking around on the manatee county side of the skyway. I brought home 5 hermit crabs, but wasn’t able To find any snails or shrimp.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
OK, here is the rundown. I collect on a commercial license, but am very well versed in the recreational side of things.

You need a saltwater fishing license. Even a 3 day is fine.

You need to ensure you have a full support system for the critters. This is a gotcha if you do not. A bunket of water is not a support system. You MUST have a bubbler or circulation pump. One of the mini bait bubblers that takes 2x AA batteries is cheap and perfect.

You can take 5 of any species with a combined total of 20 organisms from however many species you decide upon. In short, no more than 5 of one species, no more than 20 of all combined.

This is where it gets tricky.

Hermit crabs are allowed for harvest. Just not land hermits. So, you can keep 5 per day of any type of hermit. Red legs, white legs, blue legs, doesn't matter. Just no more than 5 total. Not 5 whites and 5 reds. Just 5 total of all types.

You can keep snails. That is not an issue. They are not specifically called out in the Marine Life list, but are referenced in "Other Marine Life Invertebrates". This would include nasarius, nerite, and Mexican turbos (if you can find them that far north). Same applies here, no more than 5 per day of all types combined. A snail is a snail when it comes to species. So again, not 5 nerite and 5 nassarius. Just 5 snails.

You can also keep 5 brittle stars or any other starfish you find, excluding Cushion sea stars.

You then have a 2 day potion limit that allows 10 of each species or 40 total organisms. This will not really apply, as that is more for boats and such. If you go back to hotel or house, and move to a cooler or something, the harvest is complete for that day. Do not go collect more. But the next day, it resets and you can go collect again.

To add to this, you can also collect macro. you are allowed one gallon per day. This means you can pack as much into 1 gallon as you want and be fine. Even if you have 4 gallons of water, as long as it will pack into a 1 gallon baggie, not issue. It could be 3 gallons expanded and not matter, just has to pack into a gallon bag in the end.

There is also the fact you can do multiple licenses and increase the limit. Being on land and not a boat, there is no "vessel limit". So, if you have 2 kids that do not need a license due to age, but you as a parent have a license, you can count the kids as "per person". This will allow for more total organisms to be harvested.

Very well summarized but still unsure if striped hermits, red-legged, blue-legged all fall under just 5 hermits in total.

Any reads from FF+W supporting this?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
2 yrs ago my saltwater fishing license was $50...which is a lot of money for 5 snails/hermits that are a buck at my LFS....

1695062392885.png

If you have two kids under 16 that don't pay for the license - $17 for a three day license with 60 animals/day limit seems like a sweet deal.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back