Colony hammer

chandru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ,

I’m new to the hobby I’m not sure what’s happening with my colony 2 heads are not fluffing. Let me know what you think. Thanks

A3163E9F-FE41-494B-ABBA-F19EEBA74A47.jpeg CBA1A06E-4516-4072-A0FE-F05A69CC82E2.jpeg 7CB2F9C6-D2D7-49B2-B217-4A5313BCA6C2.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any changes to the system? Specifically the parameters of Alk, pH, Salinity? Anything around it that could sting the hammer? That little bugger under the hammer like to nibble any?

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ,

I’m new to the hobby I’m not sure what’s happening with my colony 2 heads are not fluffing. Let me know what you think. Thanks
BJD is brown jelly disease btw lol incase you didnt know. Looks like the tissue is gone. Hopefully someone who knows more about causes of RTN can chime in as unfortunately I don't think that'll stop at just those 2 heads. Had the same issue with an otherwise healthy torch coral with good water parameters. Started with one head and others soon followed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chandru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any changes to the system? Specifically the parameters of Alk, pH, Salinity? Anything around it that could sting the hammer? That little bugger under the hammer like to nibble any?
Hey deniseandy,

i haven’t added anything,Or added chemicals. There’s a Kenya tree under the hammer. I also checked my salinity reading is 1.24.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey deniseandy,

i haven’t added anything,Or added chemicals. There’s a Kenya tree under the hammer. I also checked my salinity reading is 1.24.

Just incase it’s some type of infection, like BJD

Try an Iodine Dip

Iodine dip can be an effective method for treating a variety of coral-based illnesses. Below, we’ll outline all the steps necessary to correctly treat your coral with iodine:

1. Get yourself some iodine. If you can find a bottle of Lugol’s iodine, that’s generally the best type of iodine for coral.
  2. Get a container that can hold the piece of coral you want to treat. A plastic serving saver is fine for this purpose.
  3. Fill this container all the way with water from your aquarium.
  4. Add some iodine to the water. Add enough so that the water is mostly opaque. Stir this mixture well.
  5. Place the container in a larger tub with a heater to keep the water at the proper temperature. Alternatively, you can place the container into your aquarium and clamp it to the edge to prevent it from spilling.
  6. Dip your coral in the iodine solution for about 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the severity of the infection.
  7. Once your coral has been dipped, you can place it directly back into its original tank; there’s no need to rinse it off beforehand.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut off the offending branches for frags and see if they recover. If they die off, at least it wont spread to the main colony. If they survive, you have frags to donate or sell.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kenya tree will bother the hammer if it is too close. May try moving it across the tank. Then others have given good advice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back