Color blows off coral. What does it mean?

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was blowing off my rock work and corals yesterday and to my horror green coloring started blowing off my raja rampage chalice easily with a turkey baster leaving purple flesh. A bit of feverish research later and I learn that its not uncommon and the color started to return that day.

parameters:
KH 11.2dkh
cal 460ppm
mg 1350ppm
no3 2ppm
po4 .03ppm

I'd like to know what this means? I've blown that chalice off dozens of times and this never happened. Is there something I should be testing for? The only change to the system was discontinuing the use of all4reef last week. I tried it for 4 weeks and could not regulate my alk so I slowly decreased the dose and stopped this week. I suppose some of the corals are washed out, a few zoas aren't opening and my Hammer isn't opening all the way up.

I use reef crystals and I'm starting to debate switching to a lower alk mix. this high alk doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Are my nitrates too low for the elevated alk? I just added a few more fish in hopes of raising no3

I test alk daily and every thing else twice a week. Should I be testing for anything else?

Thanks.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be of specific help here as I've never seen this happen.

Both I do know that gorgonian corals actually shed their outer skin to rid themselves of algae and/or anything else that is potentially bothering them. I suppose there is some chance that is what's happening to your coral?

You say the color comes back. Maybe some before, during (while blowing off the coral), after it's blown off and how long is it before it colors up again?

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be of specific help here as I've never seen this happen.

Both I do know that gorgonian corals actually shed their outer skin to rid themselves of algae and/or anything else that is potentially bothering them. I suppose there is some chance that is what's happening to your coral?

You say the color comes back. Maybe some before, during (while blowing off the coral), after it's blown off and how long is it before it colors up again?
I’d say it’s been about 18 hours since the incident and it’s about 75% healed.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s been about 18 hours since the incident and it’s about 75% healed.
Then you are probably OK. I'm not familiar with that coral, is it normally green? Or is it possible that the green is diatoms or some other algae that is growing on the coral?

Photos would help.

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s normally an intense green. Here’s a pic from Friday and one from just now.

Attachments

• 68A0916E-18AA-4703-9EE6-59FDF0F39D0B.jpeg
    68A0916E-18AA-4703-9EE6-59FDF0F39D0B.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 67913BCB-66EE-44E7-B7F9-27D6291D64FB.jpeg
    67913BCB-66EE-44E7-B7F9-27D6291D64FB.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 55

City_Boy_Jay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but I’d say it’s your zoozenthelatte leaving the coral. That can be caused by too much flow or too little and too little light. Too much it usually does the same but turns brighter and whiter almost pastel in some cases. If you think none of those are the issue then maybe your alk is too high like you think.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back